Proof that the Bible is false

Proof that the Bible is false

Postby psyadam » Sun Nov 25, 2012 11:39 am

The Bible claims that Adam (the first man) was created by God 6000 years ago. However, from modern science and historical records we know that this was about the time the Sumerians first learned to brew beer. (taken from Sam Harris' "The End of Faith)
psyadam

Affiliation: Agnostic

Re: Proof that the Bible is false

Postby romansh » Sun Nov 25, 2012 11:54 am

And ... ?

My take on this is certain interpretations of the Bible are false - eg literal ones.
"That's right!" shouted Vroomfondel, "we demand rigidly defined areas of doubt and uncertainty!"
Douglas Adams
romansh
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby subtlegong » Sun Nov 25, 2012 11:57 am

You can't prove that the bible is false. You can come up with as much verified research as is currently physically available, but a "true believer" will always believe that they know better. The only "proof" that they would even start to believe is if Jesus were to walk up to the Pope and say "I didn't say any of that, and neither did my dad".
We seek the truth and will endure the consequences~ Charles Seymour
Do not hate the hateful. Educate them~ self
subtlegong
Distinguished Member
Distinguished Member

Blog: View Blog (2)

Postby romansh » Sun Nov 25, 2012 12:22 pm

I'm not sure about this:
If the title of the thread was Proof that the Hitch Hiker's Guide the Galaxy is false

It would be fairly dumb on my part to believe it literally, yet the book contains reflections on many a topic we discuss here.

Can a book be false per se?
"That's right!" shouted Vroomfondel, "we demand rigidly defined areas of doubt and uncertainty!"
Douglas Adams
romansh
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby AB517 » Sun Nov 25, 2012 1:33 pm

The bible isn't false. That's just foolish angle.

The bible was never indented to be literally correct so how can it be literally false.
AB517
Distinguished Prognosticator

Postby psyadam » Sun Nov 25, 2012 1:49 pm

Ok, so you guy's aren't convinced the Bible is false. I get that, as it's not a single book but more of a compendium. How about this: The old testament is false (i.e., not a source of history).
psyadam

Postby romansh » Sun Nov 25, 2012 1:55 pm

psyadam wrote: The old testament is false (i.e., not a source of history).

I would not take it literally Adam. It is very likely a 'reflection' of history, some past perception of an event that has turned into a very interesting mythical metaphor.

Abel's literal interpretation of the Genesis as history I would argue is false.

The mythical metaphor interpretion is also likely false in some absolute sense.
Douglas Adams
romansh
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby subtlegong » Sun Nov 25, 2012 1:57 pm

psyadam wrote:Ok, so you guy's aren't convinced the Bible is false. I get that, as it's not a single book but more of a compendium. How about this: The old testament is false (i.e., not a source of history).

It is distorted and unreliable, true. But then, so are most historical documents. History is written by the victor, and the victor is always self promoting.
We seek the truth and will endure the consequences~ Charles Seymour
Do not hate the hateful. Educate them~ self
subtlegong
Distinguished Member
Distinguished Member

Blog: View Blog (2)

Postby AB517 » Sun Nov 25, 2012 3:55 pm

psyadam wrote:Ok, so you guy's aren't convinced the Bible is false. I get that, as it's not a single book but more of a compendium. How about this: The old testament is false (i.e., not a source of history).

it's like saying the movie "titanic" is false so that must mean the boat didn't sink.

the only thing that needs to be shown is that it wasn't written by god. And that's stupid simple to do.

the question I have is why you would care that much? It is very possible that a king named David did what he did. It is quite possible/probable that a general like Moses prepared a force to invade a neighboring country.
A guy named "Jesus" probably did live and stand up against the "establishment" and paid with his life. I see no reason to even have to prove that as false.

The story of Noah is an excellent teaching tool. in fact, I don't see anything better from fundamentalist atheist religion in offering a stress/anxiety relief to people that need it. Other than hating anybody that aint like them, and promoting racism, I see no value from fundamentalist atheist, or theist, really.
AB517

Postby psyadam » Sun Nov 25, 2012 7:31 pm

romansh wrote:
psyadam wrote: The old testament is false (i.e., not a source of history).

I would not take it literally Adam. It is very likely a 'reflection' of history, some past perception of an event that has turned into a very interesting mythical metaphor.

Abel's literal interpretation of the Genesis as history I would argue is false.

The mythical metaphor interpretion is also likely false in some absolute sense.

I would argue that if you have to say that a certain part of the Bible is a metaphor, then it becomes very problematic as anyone can ascribe any interpretation they want at that point to anything in the Bible.
psyadam

Next

Return to Deism, Theism & Atheism: God Talk