Bill Nye and Ken Ham thread?

Re: Bill Nye and Ken Ham thread?

Postby AB517 » Tue Mar 11, 2014 4:26 am

UnReAL wrote:
AB517 wrote:most chemicals do something to us.
Debating where we draw the line is good.
Talking about turning loose something like morphine because they are natural are not. especially in an age where these people would have others pay for the 3 kids they have and can't support.
a religious stance should not determine if we turn a chemical loose on ourselves.

We also need to draw the line between what is safe to use and what's actually harmful. Comparing THC to something that can be lethal like morphine is one of the biggest straw man arguments that anti-pot crusaders can make. There's too much propaganda out there, especially against Cannabis. It was clearly made illegal so the alcohol and timber industries could keep raking in millions. As well as big tobacco and every other industry that hemp products could compete with.

I agree that no belief should actually determine whether or not you consume something. I was just under the impression that most Wiccans promoted it. There are always exceptions though. I encourage anyone to genuinely seek out the truth concerning anything in a time when our government constantly lies to us for their own sinister intentions.

I agree, I didn't mean to compare the two like that. I actually think the erb and alcohol maybe/should be switched.
AB517
Distinguished Prognosticator

Postby UnReAL » Tue Mar 11, 2014 7:11 am

Last edited by UnReAL on Fri Apr 04, 2014 6:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
UnReAL
Site Admin
Site Admin

Blog: View Blog (2)
Affiliation: Prefer not to say

Postby Bill » Tue Mar 11, 2014 10:22 am

OK folks - let's calm the tempo here down a tad, please.

Thanks,
The only reality is the moment that we call "Now".
= = = =
We evolved to seek dinner, not to seek the truth - Mark Whatever
Bill
Site Admin
Site Admin

Blog: View Blog (8)
Affiliation: Agnostic

Postby UnReAL » Tue Mar 11, 2014 12:19 pm

At any rate it was entertaining seeing another Creationist slaughtered in a debate. We'll save Neil deGrasse Tyson for a time when they actually get serious about this.
UnReAL
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Spiritdove » Tue Mar 11, 2014 1:55 pm

no emotion connection with what I posted romansh. just stating facts as I see it.. I will let it go now..
"And is harm none, Do as ye will"
Spiritdove

Affiliation: None of the above

Postby UnReAL » Tue Mar 11, 2014 3:10 pm

Last edited by UnReAL on Fri Apr 04, 2014 6:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
UnReAL
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Bill » Tue Mar 11, 2014 6:46 pm

Emotion good.
Passion good.
Name slinging bad.
Emotionless robots bad.

Ish.

YMMV.
The only reality is the moment that we call "Now".
= = = =
We evolved to seek dinner, not to seek the truth - Mark Whatever
Bill
Site Admin
Site Admin

Blog: View Blog (8)

Postby AB517 » Mon Mar 24, 2014 7:19 am

hey, 3/11 was our 25th.

I have been married longer than single :) :D :lol: :-(
AB517

Postby alka » Mon Mar 31, 2014 9:24 pm

i enjoyed it ken ham recycled the same arguments god did it the bible says it so its true i thought bill nye did a good job :)
alka

Affiliation: Atheist

Postby Red » Thu Aug 14, 2014 8:21 pm

subtlegong wrote:
romansh wrote:Not that it should matter, according to wiki Ham has a bachelors degree in applied science (environmental biology emphasis)

His supposed doctorates are honorary (ornery?) from those well known science institutions of Temple Baptist College and Liberty University.

Well now I know. There did seem to be a bit of bluff to his confident expertise posing. (And all their names were Onery!)
Spirit, it's mostly educated speculation that leads people to believe that Jesus trained with Buddhists. What is known about the historical Christ is that he likely apprenticed under Joseph as a carpenter until at least his mid-twenties. He likely had no formal Rabbinic schooling and given that that was one of the very few ways a person in his time period would have learned to read he likely only understood the Torah through oral traditions.

Jesus definitely, definitely had some hardcore Rabbinic training. It was implied in the Bible that a Rabbi took him under his wing. Jesus himself was called "Rabbi" by his followers, and I believe was said to have led synagogue meetings. Although not much was written about this connection, it's all subtext, baby. He was able to tie teachings from the Old Testament into the New Testament seamlessly. Do an intensive Bible study sometime, and you'll see what I mean. It's genius.

There was a prophesy in the Old Testament that a Messiah would come around that time at that time, from the line of David. You must imagine that everyone wanted their kid to be a Messiah, and especially, to save Israel. It's like Chinese people having their kid in the Year of the Dragon. So, one guy likes him and has him train at his temple. I think that's plausible. If he wasn't God, you can tell he was a smart man, very quick and knowledgable, with a creative bent of mind, based on documentation.
Red

Previous

Return to Deism, Theism & Atheism: God Talk