The God of the Bible

Re: The God of the Bible

Postby romansh » Mon May 19, 2014 7:09 pm

whateverist wrote:So this is a thread dealing with what the bible says about god? Once that has been settled perhaps we could discuss why anyone should care what the bible says. Is there any reason to think it is authoritative or even privileged in any way?

The book does not worry me particularly Mark

It is the authorative interpretations that are harder to take.
"That's right!" shouted Vroomfondel, "we demand rigidly defined areas of doubt and uncertainty!"
Douglas Adams
romansh
Site Admin
Site Admin

Affiliation: Agnostic

Postby AB517 » Tue May 20, 2014 4:18 am

Chapabel wrote:AB, I believe I read one of your posts where you stated that you sent your kids to a Catholic Church. (Maybe it was a Catholic school, I can't remember) Let me ask you something...do you go as well? The reason I ask is that I have had several discussions with practicing Catholics, and their view of God and the Bible are drastically different from yours. Not being Catholic, nor ever attending Catholic mass, I have no first hand experience with Catholic teaching so I have to rely on others for this. I am just wondering why there is such a vast difference between your position and other Catholics I have talked to.

remember chap ... I am atheist that follow the rcc for help align the body to the mind. Most atheist don't no crap about how to do that. Unless it is aligning the body to bash people that dont think like them.

Yeah, I have talk ed to some catholic that don't know what they believe in, nor understand the religion. Not That I am much better than them. the only place I am vastly different from Catholics is I do not believe in magic.

I also tell Catholics never get involved in a smoke screen with bible literalist. I tell them to tell the bible literalist that "RCC only takes some events in jess's life are to be taken literally did not take the bible literally as a hole "

but chap don't worry about that. What is said in the previous post is more reasonable than literal bible stances.
AB517
Distinguished Prognosticator

Postby AB517 » Tue May 20, 2014 4:23 am

whateverist wrote:So this is a thread dealing with what the bible says about god? Once that has been settled perhaps we could discuss why anyone should care what the bible says. Is there any reason to think it is authoritative or even privileged in any way?

The bible is a great book in teaching us about ourselves. Sure, there are others, But it is still one of the best imo.

For me, logistically speaking, it is a great central theme in helping people see past just plain history and what vises brings conflict to man. :|
AB517

Postby Ayn Marx » Mon Jan 26, 2015 12:24 am

AB517 wrote:

The bible is a great book in teaching us about ourselves. Sure, there are others, But it is still one of the best imo.

For me, logistically speaking, it is a great central theme in helping people see past just plain history and what vises brings conflict to man. :|

Yes, the bible can teach us a great deal about collective delusion. As to 'vice' bringing conflict to man recent biblical studies show us organised religion can and will alter, censor and happily misinterpret large chunks of the so called 'Word of God' to its own evil machiavellian ends.
As to 'plain history' there's little of that left intact in the bible as we now have it.
The Human Race is Insane
Ayn Marx

Postby Carol » Mon Jan 26, 2015 7:50 am

Ayn Marx wrote:
AB517 wrote:

Yes, the bible can teach us a great deal about collective delusion. As to 'vice' bringing conflict to man recent biblical studies show us organised religion can and will alter, censor and happily misinterpret large chunks of the so called 'Word of God' to its own evil machiavellian ends.
As to 'plain history' there's little of that left intact in the bible as we now have it.

Well said Ayn!

Mark, I remember when I first stepped away from Christianity, the bible was my most discussed topic. Since the book had been my main focus and foundation for belief for so long, I couldn't find enough info about it to confirm my new belief system.

But now I agree with your comment above. Why would any of us care about its message (if there is one) or what it says. I've since lost all interest in it and find other studies much more fullfilling.

However, I do respect the work of Bart Ehrman (and others like him) and his contribution to discredit the history, reliability, and accuracy of these misunderstood books. He helped me immensely in my search for the truth about the book. But eventually one must move on....
"These people believe there is no truth to seek in nature, but only in the comparison of texts." Galileo
Carol
Site Admin
Site Admin

Blog: View Blog (1)

Postby whateverist » Mon Jan 26, 2015 12:19 pm

Glad to hear it, Carol. I suspect it is possible to read wisdom into the bible as it is for so many other books. Personally I left Christian belief without ever having read the bible. So I was spared that struggle. I salute you for your accomplishment under more difficult conditions.
You can call me Mark or whatever.

“Tiger got to hunt, bird got to fly;
Man got to sit and wonder 'why, why, why?'
Tiger got to sleep, bird got to land;
Man got to tell himself he understand.”
― Kurt Vonnegut, Cat's Cradle
whateverist
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Thoughtage » Mon Jan 26, 2015 4:20 pm

I sense too many folks, theist and atheist, are relating to holy books as if they were scientific papers.

It seems more useful to think of holy books as art. As example, a good play can speak deep truths about the human condition, even though the plot is entirely fictional and the characters are just actors. A good play can still be very useful, even though it's technically just a bunch of made up crap.

My favorite example is the story of Adam and Eve.

Personally I seriously doubt there was a guy name Adam, a gal named Eve, a snake, and a place called Eden. So as science or history the story sucks.

But as art, I find the Adam and Eve story to be brilliant in it's insights in to the human condition, and a truly remarkable bit of prophecy in to the central issue of today, our relationship with knowledge.

3,000 years after the story was written we can now see where the eating of the apple of knowledge is probably leading us, to a literal real world expulsion from the garden of eden we call planet Earth.

It could happen in our life times. It could literally happen between me writing this post and you logging back in to read it. That's pretty real.
Thoughtage

Postby Ayn Marx » Mon Jan 26, 2015 5:07 pm

Thoughtage wrote:I sense too many folks, theist and atheist, are relating to holy books as if they were scientific papers.
It seems more useful to think of holy books as art. As example, a good play can speak deep truths about the human condition, even though the plot is entirely fictional and the characters are just actors. A good play can still be very useful, even though it's technically just a bunch of made up crap.

Yes indeed but if and when the religious get control of the state so called holy books are used as a weapon to restrict freedom, induce guilt and punish non-believers with torture and death. As history teaches us ( and news coming out of the Middle East today) the imposition of 'sacred truth' by organised religion goes far, far beyond anything like a plot with entirely fictional characters.
He shall surely violently turn and toss thee like a ball into a large country: there shalt thou die, and there the chariots of they glory shall be the shame of they Lord's House
Isaiah Ch:21,V:18
The Human Race is Insane
Ayn Marx

Postby Thoughtage » Mon Jan 26, 2015 5:13 pm

Ayn Marx wrote:Yes indeed but if and when the religious get control of the state so called holy books are used as a weapon to restrict freedom, induce guilt and punish non-believers with torture and death.

Same kind of things have been done by atheist regimes. But atheist ideologues are never interested in that, so, perhaps we should agree to disagree.
Thoughtage

Postby AB517 » Mon Jan 26, 2015 5:20 pm

Ayn Marx wrote:
AB517 wrote:

exactly arn. list all the adjectives one uses to describe the bible. That is a look into the person doing the description. "delusion" is the wrong word with the evidence we have today. They may see something but it isn't what they say it is.

and when we can support your claims that these traits are based on belief and would not happen in any group of people I might just bite into the apple of anti religion.
AB517

PreviousNext

Return to Deism, Theism & Atheism: God Talk