The media, 'Holy Books' and political correctness.

Re: The media, 'Holy Books' and political correctness.

Postby Bill » Thu Jan 15, 2015 2:17 pm

Here's a little thought experiment you might care to try. Make a list of all the reasons why ISIS should not behead infidels, and then isolate those that do not apply to the U.S. death penalty itself.

Betcha come up with a list based on Islam-phobia and not one based solely on solid logic.

Try it and see!
The only reality is the moment that we call "Now".
= = = =
We evolved to seek dinner, not to seek the truth - Mark Whatever
Bill
Site Admin
Site Admin

Blog: View Blog (8)
Affiliation: Agnostic

Postby Carrie » Thu Jan 15, 2015 2:35 pm

Are you addressing me Bill?

What is your point?

How is anything I said in this thread phobic about Islam? I just said I wouldn't blame people for being angry in the Muslim community. I also said that it's wrong to kill for ANY ideology. That includes death penalty.

My first post on here was about what the pope said.

I found what he said hypocritical since his precious church has disrespected at best and at worst murdered many innocent people in the past, yet he wants religious ideas to be above criticism and untouchable, so no one would be offended.

Did you even read what I posted? :?
Carrie
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Bill » Thu Jan 15, 2015 3:49 pm

Not you specifically, Carrie - the whole forum.

It was put to me that I could not put up any case against ISIS that did not fall into one of two categories: a case against death penalties, or a case against Islam.

I thought everyone might want a try. And while I could have opened another thread, this one seemed to me to be a close enough fit for it carry such a segue.

Nothing in it was in any way aimed at you, and if you read my post that way, I apologize for having worded it so poorly that it was possible for it to be read as a personal attack on you.
The only reality is the moment that we call "Now".
= = = =
We evolved to seek dinner, not to seek the truth - Mark Whatever
Bill
Site Admin
Site Admin

Blog: View Blog (8)

Postby Thoughtage » Thu Jan 15, 2015 4:00 pm

Carrie wrote:...yet he wants religious ideas to be above criticism and untouchable, so no one would be offended.

Catholics debate their own faith within their own communities all the time, it's a Catholic obsession to disagree about all kinds of things.

The Pope didn't say any religion should be untouchable and above criticism. The Pope himself recently gave his own Vatican Curia a pretty thorough drubbing.

The Pope is referring to pointless offensiveness, such as is printed in mags whose sole purpose is to outrage people, in order to boost circulation and profits.

As example, should we start posting insulting cartoons of each other here in the forum? Challenge each other with reason, yes. Post insulting cartoons, no. The Pope is asking for nothing more than what we already considerable reasonable behavior in our own interactions.
Thoughtage

Postby Carrie » Thu Jan 15, 2015 4:29 pm

Thoughtage wrote:
Carrie wrote:...yet he wants religious ideas to be above criticism and untouchable, so no one would be offended.

Catholics debate their own faith within their own communities all the time, it's a Catholic obsession to disagree about all kinds of things.

The Pope didn't say any religion should be untouchable and above criticism. The Pope himself recently gave his own Vatican Curia a pretty thorough drubbing.

The Pope is referring to pointless offensiveness, such as is printed in mags whose sole purpose is to outrage people, in order to boost circulation and profits.

As example, should we start posting insulting cartoons of each other here in the forum? Challenge each other with reason, yes. Post insulting cartoons, no. The Pope is asking for nothing more than what we already considerable reasonable behavior in our own interactions.

Actually we did post icons one time to tease each other a bit. I'm not suggesting that people be crude and insulting, but should the reaction to crude cartoons and insults be killing someone? How is one's ego and "honor" more precious than another's life? Also how is boosting profits for a business worse than filling the church coffers? Both exploit people in my opinion. At least the magazine doesn't promise eternal life and God's love to the hopeful in return.
Carrie
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Carrie » Thu Jan 15, 2015 4:29 pm

Bill wrote:Not you specifically, Carrie - the whole forum.

It was put to me that I could not put up any case against ISIS that did not fall into one of two categories: a case against death penalties, or a case against Islam.

I thought everyone might want a try. And while I could have opened another thread, this one seemed to me to be a close enough fit for it carry such a segue.

Nothing in it was in any way aimed at you, and if you read my post that way, I apologize for having worded it so poorly that it was possible for it to be read as a personal attack on you.

Sorry Bill...
Carrie
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Thoughtage » Thu Jan 15, 2015 4:57 pm

Carrie wrote: I'm not suggesting that people be crude and insulting, but should the reaction to crude cartoons and insults be killing someone?

No, of course not, we agree on this. I'm not an apologist for the terrorists, they are far worse than than the cartoon guys for sure. I'm cool with heaping scorn on the killers, they deserve it.

My only objection was in turning the cartoonists in to some kind of hero, and buying out the latest edition of their mag in ten minutes etc. They didn't deserve to die, but they don't deserve applause either.
Thoughtage

Postby Carrie » Thu Jan 15, 2015 5:08 pm

To be honest, I just read through more of those cartoons. Not my idea of humor and good taste, but I just don't buy it that it was about upsetting a God like extremists claim. I think in reality they were killed because it upset the people who killed them. I think it's about anger and a way to feel powerful. I didn't know people were buying out copies to support them. I find the whole thing another giant tragedy among many others in this life. :down:
Carrie
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Ayn Marx » Fri Jan 16, 2015 2:43 am

Bill wrote: . . . . . . . . .It was put to me that I could not put up any case against ISIS that did not fall into one of two categories: a case against death penalties, or a case against Islam.
A penalty is usually the result of a structured set of moral principles being ignored followed by a formal judicial process to assertain guilt or inoccence before the imposition of punishment. ISIS have been indulging in murder pure and simple without anything like a judicial process, sharia or otherwise. But hey, they have God on their side, dont they?
The Human Race is Insane
Ayn Marx

Postby Ayn Marx » Fri Jan 16, 2015 2:48 am

Thoughtage wrote:

The question is why should the religious be so sensitive to this so called pointless offensiveness? Why should their defintion of 'sacred' be accepted by any of us?
Why can't I set up a religion that worships dirty socks and insist cartoonists not publish drawings of dirty socks?
Why should any religion be in a position to make behavioural damands on anyone outside their own community? I just don't get it.
"Great peace have they which love they law: and nothing shall offend them." Psalm:119,V:165.
The Human Race is Insane
Ayn Marx

PreviousNext

Return to Deism, Theism & Atheism: God Talk