Why would a deity want a sacrifice?

Why would a deity want a sacrifice?

Postby Carrie » Sun Apr 05, 2015 11:56 am

Today I was pondering the reasoning behind the belief that Jesus would be a sacrifice to atone for other people's "sins", and it just doesn't make any sense. It doesn't teach people to stop hurting others. It doesn't make them pay for what they have done to others in any lasting significant way, and why is killing a requirement to satisfy a deity's sense of justice? All of this seems more like the thoughts of ancient people who had limited understanding to me. Could it be misinterpretations of Jewish scripture by Christians? According to Rabbi Stuart Federow in his essay below. His God thought human sacrifice was an abomination and that Jewish people don't believe that another person's death can make up for someone else's misdeeds.

http://www.whatjewsbelieve.org/explanation4.html
Carrie
Site Admin
Site Admin

Affiliation: Agnostic

Re: Why would a deity want a sacrifice?

Postby Bill » Sun Apr 05, 2015 6:50 pm

It is a fairly civilized notion that one person cannot take another person's punishment and justice will still have been served. The only reason the concept of a whipping boy survived for so long, is that the child who got punished in place of the aristocrat youth got a far finer education along the way that could ever have otherwise been provided. Even so, all concerned understood that the pretense was only a pretense, and the miscreant was getting away with something he or she should not have gotten away with.

But as a mechanism for ridding one of an otherwise crippling sense of guilt, it has some use on a pragmatic day to day level to give a panacea to those who otherwise might become unfit members of society.

In matters of faith, logic and reason has little to do with why you accept one person's word over what constitutes a sound faith, over some other person's words that do not resonate quite so strongly. We all have many matters that we have neither time nor training to research ourselves, and accept that the summaries provided by those we trust are not false. Our faith, whatever it might be, is rational and the faith of others is always totally irrational. That seems to have been the case for thousands of years, and parsing the logic of one piece of faith is very unlikely to hold much sway one way or the other.

P.S. The use of the word "abomination" shows the influence of a thousand years of Christian propaganda - the original word before "abomination" was coined had a different meaning, but the Latin Vulgate has even insinuated itself into Hebrew dictionary. No wonder no modern man now has any idea what the ancients meant with the words they actually wrote back then.
The only reality is the moment that we call "Now".
= = = =
We evolved to seek dinner, not to seek the truth - Mark Whatever
Bill
Site Admin
Site Admin

Blog: View Blog (8)

Postby AB517 » Tue Apr 07, 2015 4:24 am

This was one of the reasons I didn't believe the adults had the traits correct way back in elementary school. I would ask 'but he made us?" :?
AB517
Distinguished Prognosticator

Postby Godmachine » Wed Apr 08, 2015 1:08 am

Good question. I think the answer would be because it makes the story more interesting. Ya know how in Game of Thrones or The Walking Dead your favorite characters always end up biting it? You get pissed and you scream at your TV, "WHY? WHY?" You vow to never watch ever again. But for some reason you always come back next season. Yeah it's kinda like that.
"The important thing is not to stop questioning. Curiosity has its own reason for existing." - Albert Einstein
Godmachine

Postby Ayn Marx » Tue Apr 14, 2015 3:34 am

Carrie wrote:Today I was pondering the reasoning behind the belief that Jesus would be a sacrifice to atone for other people's "sins", and it just doesn't make any sense. It doesn't teach people to stop hurting others. It doesn't make them pay for what they have done to others in any lasting significant way, and why is killing a requirement to satisfy a deity's sense of justice? All of this seems more like the thoughts of ancient people who had limited understanding to me. Could it be misinterpretations of Jewish scripture by Christians? According to Rabbi Stuart Federow in his essay below. His God thought human sacrifice was an abomination and that Jewish people don't believe that another person's death can make up for someone else's misdeeds.

http://www.whatjewsbelieve.org/explanation4.html

Putting aside for now biblical exegesis and apologetics let's just consider the psychological function of inducing a universal guilt through claims divine sacrifice saved humanity.
The early church soon realised you could induce blind obedience and acceptance of suffering in this life from it's followers if they were inculcated from an early age with the example of a God torturing himself on our behalf.Throw in hell and heaven and you've got em,still have in fact. Erect on top of this a moral code so strict and unatural most will break it at some time adding to their guilt. It all makes sense in a perverted theologically twisted way.
The Human Race is Insane
Ayn Marx

Postby romansh » Fri Apr 17, 2015 6:04 pm

While I agree with Ayn's position as a very definite possibility. But it could also be seen that, that particular explanation is an opportunity rather than the original purpose.

Another possibility is that these "deaths" are metaphors for existence rather than sinful Christian orthodox nonsense.

For example a death could be seen as a rebirth of a new self ... eg a realization of a Buddhist non-self concept. But all this has got scrambled up in a literalist interpretation.
"That's right!" shouted Vroomfondel, "we demand rigidly defined areas of doubt and uncertainty!"
Douglas Adams
romansh
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby AB517 » Mon Apr 20, 2015 6:00 pm

The problem is that it is valid only in a " perverted theologically twisted way." However, it doesn't make sense in a rational way either. so I am at a loss there and so his is valid by default.

I always thought it was use to show the leaders had accountability. although observations say that was just lip service. Or the use for the "hope" for a better life after. From false hope we can get real strength to press on. And finaly the Sayers of "oh yeah, how do you know?". They didn't except we are not totally sure but we do need their food or we die. :)
AB517

Postby alka » Fri May 08, 2015 11:10 pm

i wondered the same thing why couldn't god just forgive every one why did Jesus have to die before god would forgive every one :?:
alka

Affiliation: Atheist

Return to Deism, Theism & Atheism: God Talk