Letting go of religion

Here you can say Hi to all our members - and let us know a little about yourself.

Re: Letting go of religion

Postby Karen » Thu Sep 25, 2014 3:38 pm

Hello chasinghope, welcome to our forum!

chasinghope wrote:
And, secondly, I am absolutely distraught by the pain, suffering and injustice in this world, and, I hate to think that there is no chance for restoration, reconciliation, and healing in the next life.

I suppose if there is no hell in the after life, it sort of makes no difference, since life itself is as hellish as hell can get. That really bothers me, and I can't find a reason to live, if there is nothing beyond this life but the misery we experience here (even though I believe we are the prime cause our own misery).

I sympathize with your feeling distraught about the suffering in this world. I focussed on that myself for a very long time, and found that I neglected to notice the amazing beauty life has to offer also. It is important that you don't let yourself slip into an existential crisis.
Instead of wondering and worrying whether we will have a next life, and what that will be like, I am trying my best to stay grounded in the present. For me that helped significantly to reduce existential anxiety.

I hope that you will continue to read more on all the different threads here and take your time to feel comfortable about posting. If you don't feel like debating on the forum you could send a pm to another member for private dialogue.
"Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards"
Soren Kierkegaard
Karen
Site Admin
Site Admin

Affiliation: Agnostic

Postby Purplevision » Thu Sep 25, 2014 3:46 pm

I focussed on that myself for a very long time, and found that I neglected to notice the amazing beauty life has to offer also. It is important that you don't let yourself slip into an existential crisis.
Instead of wondering and worrying whether we will have a next life, and what that will be like, I am trying my best to stay grounded in the present. For me that helped significantly to reduce existential anxiety.

I know what you mean re:existential anxiety. I've been stuck here for a while.

I hope that you will continue to read more on all the different threads here and take your time to feel comfortable about posting. If you don't feel like debating on the forum you could send a pm to another member for private dialogue.

Thanks; I hope to engage in some friendly dialogue once I am comfortable enough. I also look forward to talking more with Bill and others on the topic we discussed upthread.
Purplevision

Postby gilnv » Sun Sep 28, 2014 7:00 am

My personal opinion about our natural fears of life and dying, is that life started about being mostly fun and then we developed a learned behavior of fear. We struggled at birth but didn't have worries, we naturally played (within reason) as much as we could and I notice that type of play in all young creatures (human and other animals). But we learned fear and worries, and that made any natural suffering worse.

Buddhism talks a lot about suffering, its reasons and ways to reduce it.
In regards to afterlife, dying, and fears of those things, Thich Nhat Hanh wrote a great book titled 'Fear' and he wrote about how to view it.
My Christian upbringing wasn't bad but it hindered me from understanding basic life.

And in regards to purpose of life, I've found those questions to be easier to understand whenever I lived closer to life, for example 'walked barefoot on some natural earth for a while each day', drink some fresh water from an artesian spring, eat some raw foods each day, get some real sunlight each day instead of all light bulbs or fluorescent lighting, etc. Otherwise we are to far removed from natural life to understand it. I rarely meet anyone depressed or suicidal if they eat raw foods, touch the earth, get real sunlight, air, etc. Depressed, angry, unhappy people usually do the opposite.
At least, this is what I've noticed over my lifetime and it seems to fit what I see in other people too (in regards to their physical and mental health).
the divine isn't a living entity, it is the living force within all of us.
- Sadhguru
gilnv

Postby Bill » Tue Sep 30, 2014 10:21 am

At her request, I have changed Chasinghope's name to Purplevision. The name change alters the name used for every post she made, but not to any replies to those posts.

If anyone ever wishes to have their user name changed, they only have to make a request to one of the admin's for it to happen.
The only reality is the moment that we call "Now".
= = = =
We evolved to seek dinner, not to seek the truth - Mark Whatever
Bill
Site Admin
Site Admin

Blog: View Blog (8)

Postby Purplevision » Sun Aug 23, 2015 12:14 am

Hi everyone. I joined almost a year ago, and drifted away very quickly as I was not yet ready to fully embrace my agnosticism. I'm back mostly for want of community and fellowship and hope to make some friends.
Purplevision

Postby romansh » Mon Aug 24, 2015 1:17 pm

Purplevision wrote:Hi everyone. I joined almost a year ago, and drifted away very quickly as I was not yet ready to fully embrace my agnosticism. I'm back mostly for want of community and fellowship and hope to make some friends.

Hi Purplevision
Welcome back
it is quiet round her at the moment ... I am on my travels at the moment.

pick a topic ... create one and start the conversation going.

All the best

rom
"That's right!" shouted Vroomfondel, "we demand rigidly defined areas of doubt and uncertainty!"
Douglas Adams
romansh
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby gilnv » Thu Aug 27, 2015 3:34 pm

Welcome back too.

I hope the past year has been good for you.

For myself, the past year has been mostly good.

Have a good Summer and Fall, Gil.
the divine isn't a living entity, it is the living force within all of us.
- Sadhguru
gilnv

Postby Carrie » Sun Oct 04, 2015 8:03 am

Hello Purplevision, Sorry about being harsh in the past. I hope you continue to visit us. :)
Carrie
Site Admin
Site Admin

Previous

Return to Introductions