Hello again, hope everyone is doing well.

Here you can say Hi to all our members - and let us know a little about yourself.

Hello again, hope everyone is doing well.

Postby whateverist » Sun Mar 19, 2017 4:26 pm

I need to get back outside and get a project done but I was just cleaning out old email and came across an announcement that Carol was back. (That probably tells you how far back I got in sifting through my email inbox.) So I'm stealing a little more time away from the garden to say hello.

I'm retired now and have been for the past year and a half. The first year my wife got very ill and I injured my knee. So the celebrating got put off while I played nurse maid on a gimpy knee, delivering heavy duty antibiotics to Lia by way of a pic line several times a day as well as overseeing her drugs and minor needs. She is completely recovered from the MRSA class bug and my hyper-extended knee is probably as serviceable as it is going to get.

I've got a new dog, Smokey, as a young pup to go with Heidi whose photo adorns my avatar. He is a year and a half now. This is him on the right with Heidi on a San Francisco beach. Image

So I've been a busy guy lately in the non-cyber world, preparing my garden for a Garden Conservancy open day on April 22. Pretty exciting to get caught up with so many projects. It has never looked better. Looking forward to it now. Here is a photo taken this winter before the fruit trees had leafed out. Image

So I'm still on line as whateverist over at atheistforums.org, though not as frequently now given my new commitment to the natural world outside and my puppies. I always liked the folks here but just wanted to get a wider, more diverse audience. That site has become much less hostile over the years, though you can still find an atheist holding a lot of resentment. But now less toxic voices predominate. And we have very reasonable and regular theist voices as well. I've renewed my password here so hopefully I'll be able to get back more regularly.
You can call me Mark or whatever.

“Tiger got to hunt, bird got to fly;
Man got to sit and wonder 'why, why, why?'
Tiger got to sleep, bird got to land;
Man got to tell himself he understand.”
― Kurt Vonnegut, Cat's Cradle
whateverist
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Hello again, hope everyone is doing well.

Postby romansh » Mon Mar 20, 2017 10:50 am

Hi Mark ... good to hear from you again

This is our new landlord ... he switched from a dwelling in Vancouver to the rural community of West Kootenay.

and tending the garden is a little way off ... this is our yard last month ...

Though it is melting quickly. Anyway good luck with your open garden. Don't be too much of a stranger.
"That's right!" shouted Vroomfondel, "we demand rigidly defined areas of doubt and uncertainty!"
Douglas Adams
romansh
Site Admin
Site Admin

Affiliation: Agnostic

Postby whateverist » Mon Mar 20, 2017 2:37 pm

Thanks. Hope you didn't accidentally post photos from the wrong file. :lol:

They come with disclaimers saying I am not authorized to view them. But my imagination tells me I'd be viewing some snow if I could.

That's funny, now I can view them. Go figure. (Maybe I hadn't logged in yet.) Looks like your landlord is also your tenant and object of worship.

whateverist
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby gilnv » Tue Mar 21, 2017 7:28 am

Hi Sir W,
Good to hear your online voice, so to speak.
The photos that you couldn't view of Romansh's may require you signing in, that's been my experience. The snow at his place surprises me, I thought it was a rain climate area.

At 67, my back needed a course of steroids this year, and breaking my collarbone this winter needed 2 months of rest, and travelling the Southwest this past week I battleing the sinus bug thats been around some 'kayak and canoe convention' I visited for a few days. Then I did 4 days at a raw foods retreat in southern Arizona that should insure that I'm good for another decade along with helping sentient animals and reducing global warming and it is claimed helps spiritual life and understanding too. :)

Now I'm on my way back to Michigan but I just wanted to say it 'Hi' and that your photos were nice. I'll be trying to graft some scions from a favorite wild apple tree onto a rootstock in my yard when I get home. I try it every few years without any luck, but I always try a new method so maybe this year it will take. By the way, organic Lady Alice apples seem to be the best apples in stores this year if they can be found.

I just mailed an article to one of my friends about how to try introducing a new cat to an old cat in the old cat's area. But it looks like that's not a problem with dogs, your's seem happier than most people I meet.
Best wishes, Gil.
the divine isn't a living entity, it is the living force within all of us.
- Sadhguru
gilnv

Postby Bill » Tue Mar 21, 2017 2:56 pm

Hi Mark,

Hail fellow well met ... and all that stuff.

Nice to see you again.

Bill
The only reality is the moment that we call "Now".
= = = =
We evolved to seek dinner, not to seek the truth - Mark Whatever
Bill
Site Admin
Site Admin

Blog: View Blog (8)

Postby whateverist » Wed Mar 22, 2017 1:39 pm

gilnv wrote:Hi Sir W,
Good to hear your online voice, so to speak.
The photos that you couldn't view of Romansh's may require you signing in, that's been my experience. The snow at his place surprises me, I thought it was a rain climate area.

At 67, my back needed a course of steroids this year, and breaking my collarbone this winter needed 2 months of rest, and travelling the Southwest this past week I battleing the sinus bug thats been around some 'kayak and canoe convention' I visited for a few days. Then I did 4 days at a raw foods retreat in southern Arizona that should insure that I'm good for another decade along with helping sentient animals and reducing global warming and it is claimed helps spiritual life and understanding too. :)

Now I'm on my way back to Michigan but I just wanted to say it 'Hi' and that your photos were nice. I'll be trying to graft some scions from a favorite wild apple tree onto a rootstock in my yard when I get home. I try it every few years without any luck, but I always try a new method so maybe this year it will take. By the way, organic Lady Alice apples seem to be the best apples in stores this year if they can be found.

I just mailed an article to one of my friends about how to try introducing a new cat to an old cat in the old cat's area. But it looks like that's not a problem with dogs, your's seem happier than most people I meet.
Best wishes, Gil.

Hey Gil. Good to hear your online voice again too. So which is home, Michigan or the southwest? If memory serves it is the former. At 67 you have me by 3 years. (Feeling so young suddenly.) Ouch for the collar bone, probably a little late in life to take up skateboarding or whatever foolhardy adventure did it in. I've had a Lady Alice apple. Very nice. I'm on a Pink Lady habit lately, but but my old favorite is the Jazz apple. (I planted a Fuji apple in my yard and they can be excellent but you know how it is, grass on the other side always looks greener. Plus when they come in that is the only apple I (and my friends) eat for months.

Thanks for service in helping out the sentient animals and reducing global warming. Pretty sure dogs and cats are sentient and I do my best to keep my active dogs active (and myself in the process).

Any favorite current discussions you think I should look into?

whateverist
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby whateverist » Wed Mar 22, 2017 1:40 pm

Bill wrote:Hi Mark,

Hail fellow well met ... and all that stuff.

Nice to see you again.

Bill

Thanks Bill. Any current discussions you'd recommend?

whateverist
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Bill » Wed Mar 22, 2017 2:25 pm

Probabilistically speaking there are several, but I am unable to determine which should be recommended... :)
The only reality is the moment that we call "Now".
= = = =
We evolved to seek dinner, not to seek the truth - Mark Whatever
Bill
Site Admin
Site Admin

Blog: View Blog (8)

Postby romansh » Wed Mar 22, 2017 4:58 pm

whateverist wrote:

I have been trawling other forums and bring back the odd snippet ... not just the determined ones.
Anything on atheist forums worth bringing here?
"That's right!" shouted Vroomfondel, "we demand rigidly defined areas of doubt and uncertainty!"
Douglas Adams
romansh
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby whateverist » Wed Mar 22, 2017 7:50 pm

romansh wrote:
whateverist wrote:

I have been trawling other forums and bring back the odd snippet ... not just the determined ones.
Anything on atheist forums worth bringing here?

Not lately.

whateverist
Site Admin
Site Admin

Next

Return to Introductions