Lies in favor of Cannabis

Chat about whatever takes your fancy

Lies in favor of Cannabis

Postby Carrie » Thu Jun 06, 2013 7:49 am

I know that Cannabis has been demonized in the past and many of those claims are lies. I have also come across some lies in favor of Cannabis that seem a bit silly and pointless.

We know studies have shown that Cannabis helps with glaucoma, nausea, pain, obviously stress relief and now possibly benefits for diabetics.

However there is no proof that Jesus used it to heal people as Melissa Etheridge claims, and no proof it CURES cancer like some have claimed online.

People online have said that Native American Indians really used Cannabis in their peace pipes. They did not use it 100's of years ago in Peace pipes. They used Tobacco. Tobacco was the sacred plant to them.
Also it wasn't around as much in the Americas then, because it's a native of Asia.
Some did like hemp for practical use.

Not addictive?. almost anything can be addictive under the right circumstances.

It won't fix your life and make all your problems go away.

Why can't the people who spread "positive" propaganda about Cannabis like these just state what we know about Cannabis,admit they really like it and move on?

I personally can't wait until it's legalized federally so that maybe the ones who demonize it and the worshippers of pot will finally shut up!!!

I bring this up because lately I've been around people who incessantly talk about the benefits of Cannabis and yet claim they are not addicted. Well maybe they are not addicted but they sure seem obsessed!!
:yes:
Carrie
Site Admin
Site Admin

Affiliation: Agnostic

Re: Lies in favor of Cannabis

Postby subtlegong » Thu Jun 06, 2013 2:00 pm

People still worship and demonize tobacco and alcohol openly and vocally. Making a thing legal does not remove the taboo surrounding it, it does not stop fanatics from obsessing over it. But I think we should legalize all drugs that don't cause immediate and major health problems (ie. meth, steroids, PCP, mescalin) because legislating against self harm is unconstitutional.
We seek the truth and will endure the consequences~ Charles Seymour
Do not hate the hateful. Educate them~ self
subtlegong
Distinguished Member
Distinguished Member

Blog: View Blog (2)

Postby Carrie » Thu Jun 06, 2013 2:09 pm

Fine with me. I agree. A bonus might be that I don't have to listen to a family member complain about the laws any more. :lol:
Carrie
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Bill » Thu Jun 06, 2013 2:44 pm

DEA and its allies argue that marijuana is a "gateway" drug - that drug addicts whose health and well being has been seriously jeopardized by their addiction, started their career of illegal drug usage with pot. The assumption is that if you stop people using pot, there would be no gateway to the harder drugs.

I would first note that 99.9% of marijuana users do not progress on to hard drugs. I suspect those who were destined to addiction would get there regardless of the existence or not of pot.

Second, it has been reported that when those experimenting with recreational drugs first try marijuana, they find it is very innocuous and assume the same must be true of all the other drugs. Painting marijuana as being very bad for you is an unsustainable stance: when your credibility is gone, other warnings about other drugs are easily dismissed.

By making pot illegal against the wishes of the majority of the people, not only is a black market instantly created (think speak-easy in the days of prohibition) and huge profits made for the suppliers, we lose all ability to regulate the supply. And also the ability to raise revenue in the way we do from tobacco and alcohol.

I can see nothing but good coming from the legalization of marijuana, and all possible bad consequences are destined to happen whether we make it legal or not.
The only reality is the moment that we call "Now".
= = = =
We evolved to seek dinner, not to seek the truth - Mark Whatever
Bill
Site Admin
Site Admin

Blog: View Blog (8)

Postby Carrie » Thu Jun 06, 2013 3:44 pm

I didn't say I was against legalizing it. I just think it's ridiculous to make up things to sway people into liking Cannabis instead of stating well known facts that have their own merit. It's just as dumb as saying Cannabis is evil and will destroy your life and get you hooked on other drugs etc..
Carrie
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Bill » Thu Jun 06, 2013 4:48 pm

Gotchyer! :)
The only reality is the moment that we call "Now".
= = = =
We evolved to seek dinner, not to seek the truth - Mark Whatever
Bill
Site Admin
Site Admin

Blog: View Blog (8)

Postby gilnv » Fri Jun 07, 2013 9:44 am

I agree with Kerri that listening to the two sides of the cannabis debate is just distorting reason and not judging the topic well.

Thinking up reasons how cannabis is different from alcohol is fine but lets not act like that those reasons are sufficient to legalize something. There are differences and many of those differences won't be known a head of time. For example, when some adults or sneaky teens overtoke and then giggle to the point of losing control of their car and smash into one of us, I doubt if the health benefits of pot would do us much good, and I doubt if the making of laws to prohibit driving while high will be adequate.
Also, regulating its use when people ride bicycles, drive cars, motorcycles, walking in parking lots etc will be difficult because unlike alcohol, pot is easier to hide, kids can just hide it in their shoes (I was about 8 when friends and I snuck cigarettes from our folks and tried them). And honestly now, I have enough people stepping in front of my car in parking lots and at bicycle paths and snowmobile trails, driving near colleges will be worse than near grade schools.

Another undiscussed problem of legalization is the increase of availability that would happen and that includes the ability of kids to steal their parents stash. Just like guns, the more there is, the more it will be used. And speaking of guns, we have pot lovers making claims like gun lovers. Banning guns (criminals will still have guns), banning pot (criminals still get and deal pot), so the claim is that these things should be legal. Balderdash.

Also, we have an epidemic of obesity happening to the point that consumers are ruining the planet, do we really want to give more people the munchies? Really, I'm not joking. In our capitalistic society, corporations prey on humans tendency towards pleasure and this loses any balance of reason. Just because each of us wants individual freedom doesn't mean the its good for the entire nation.
I've pointed out many reasons why pot shouldn't be legal, but I do see some benefits to it's legalization. And actually, at one of the past elections I voted for it, it was probably on a county level for medicinal use.

P.S. And what's up with those Belgium monasteries selling beer? Geez. I have mixed feelings about that. I tried a Westmalle Dubbel beer and it seemed really good to me but there seems to be something wrong about religious monks making and drinking and selling beer. :no: :yes: :no: :yes: :stars: :stars:
the divine isn't a living entity, it is the living force within all of us.
- Sadhguru
gilnv

Postby romansh » Fri Jun 21, 2013 6:00 pm

gilnv wrote:P.S. And what's up with those Belgium monasteries selling beer? Geez. I have mixed feelings about that. I tried a Westmalle Dubbel beer and it seemed really good to me but there seems to be something wrong about religious monks making and drinking and selling beer. :no: :yes: :no: :yes: :stars: :stars:

When I first arrived in Canada I could only buy beer, wine and spirits from government outlets, for home consumption. Coming from the UK that felt positively weird. Today the government outlets compete with the private sector.

Go figure
"That's right!" shouted Vroomfondel, "we demand rigidly defined areas of doubt and uncertainty!"
Douglas Adams
romansh
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby alka » Thu Aug 22, 2013 10:17 pm

i learnt that pot is not additive like cigarettes there additive psychology meaning that there is nothing in pot to make it additive it just is because the smokers don't want to stop because they like felling that high :)
alka

Affiliation: Atheist

Postby Carrie » Fri Dec 06, 2013 2:57 pm

I did look into CBD which is the non-psycho active part of the plant. It does have some promise in lab testing for certain kinds of cancers, but the concentrations of the CBD have to be very high and concentrated, and of course the sweet & altruistic people selling the stuff in the dispensaries want thousands of dollars for a couple months worth. :roll: Interesting.. they seem to be just as greedy as Big Pharma with less research and no real guarantee of potency.
Carrie
Site Admin
Site Admin

Next

Return to Water Cooler