Lies in favor of Cannabis

Chat about whatever takes your fancy

Re: Lies in favor of Cannabis

Postby Carol » Thu Jan 22, 2015 4:42 pm

But then didn't God create all the beautiful plants for our use and enjoyment? :D

Darn, I sure miss Abel.
"These people believe there is no truth to seek in nature, but only in the comparison of texts." Galileo
Carol
Site Admin
Site Admin

Blog: View Blog (1)
Affiliation: Agnostic

Postby Thoughtage » Fri Jan 23, 2015 3:43 am

Bill wrote:DEA and its allies argue that marijuana is a "gateway" drug - that drug addicts whose health and well being has been seriously jeopardized by their addiction, started their career of illegal drug usage with pot.

Unless there are any federal agents in attendance, I should disclaim I've used pot casually for almost 50 years.

Imho, it's true that most people can use pot without harm, and it's also true that it's a gateway drug for some.

The problem is that it's pretty much impossible to tell ahead of time which kind of user one will be. Personal circumstances don't seem a very useful guide for who is at risk.

The coolest of the cool "LSD king" in our high school came from a family worth at least hundreds of millions of dollars. He was very intelligent, very rich, had everything. He's still wrestling with drug problems to this day, they've pretty much ruined his life.

On one hand, it doesn't make sense to single out pot, as any substance which can change consciousness comes with these risks. On the other hand, it seems reasonable to question how many such substances should be on the market.

I'm guessing legal pot will wind up being much less dangerous than legal alcohol, but a lot of folks will suffer from pot nonetheless. If the culture should exchange alcohol for pot, that might be a good thing, but probably we'll use both, and then add some more, and then some more, and then some more...
Thoughtage

Postby Ayn Marx » Sun Jan 25, 2015 5:45 am

Carrie wrote:I know that Cannabis has been demonized in the past and many of those claims are lies.

Let's get something right out in the open here. There are MANY FORMS OF CANNABIS.( excuse my screaming but this needs to be screamed).
The illegality of cannabis satavia has induced the breeding of a number of forms whose psychoactive chemical composition is far from that of the plant as found 'in the wild'.
Recent analysis of black market strains reveals a dramatic increase in particular psychoactive isomers and an equally dramatic decrease in others.
Without giving a chemical lecture what this means is many of the forms available on the black market will blow your brains out without any of the tranquilzing effects once associated with the drug. Add to this the use of giberilic acid, a carcinogenic growth hormone used to force simultaneous blooming of larger heads, and we now have a drug far more dangerous than anything us geriatric hippies imbibed decades ago
And yes, cannabis can trigger mental health issues and addictive outcomes in those with a predisposition to them but the same can be said of a large range of drugs, many of them legal and far, far more dangerous than pot.
But hey, I can't have any idea of what I'm talking about having consumed my home grown strain since the 1960's.

http://www.emcdda.europa.eu/publication ... s/cannabis
The Human Race is Insane
Ayn Marx

Postby Carol » Sun Jan 25, 2015 7:35 am

Ayn, maybe with legalization the strains will be controlled thus eliminating the dangerous strains that your talking about. Where it's legal, there are probably folks, like yourself who will grow their own backyard "healthier" varieties.
"These people believe there is no truth to seek in nature, but only in the comparison of texts." Galileo
Carol
Site Admin
Site Admin

Blog: View Blog (1)

Postby Ayn Marx » Mon Jan 26, 2015 4:00 am

Carol wrote:But then didn't God create all the beautiful plants for our use and enjoyment? :D

Darn, I sure miss Abel.

Yes, he might know something about the burning bush we don't.
http://www.equalrights4all.org/religious/bible.htm
Last edited by Ayn Marx on Mon Jan 26, 2015 4:14 am, edited 2 times in total.
The Human Race is Insane
Ayn Marx

Postby Ayn Marx » Mon Jan 26, 2015 4:07 am

Carol wrote:Ayn, maybe with legalization the strains will be controlled thus eliminating the dangerous strains that your talking about. Where it's legal, there are probably folks, like yourself who will grow their own backyard "healthier" varieties.

I'm not so optimistic given huge the investment made in research into how to retain the therapeutic value of cannabis while removing the stone.
At least we might solve this absurd riddle about cannabis and lung cancer with oral doses of known quality and strength. It would however remove that ancient human ritual - - sharing the peace pipe. Don't expect the alcohol industry to take legalisation lying down though.
The Human Race is Insane
Ayn Marx

Postby Carrie » Sun Mar 29, 2015 8:43 am

Two states are suing my state. They are worried about Cannabis being transported to their states? I'm pretty sure the plants are already in those states anyway and have been for a long time. This is just more conservative panic mongering. Why are people never this panicked about tobacco? That stuff kills!

http://news.yahoo.com/colorado-defends- ... 34016.html
Carrie
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Bill » Sun Mar 29, 2015 9:12 am

In California we are constantly bombarded by TV ads that go to extreme lengths to show how dreadful tobacco is. We are reliably informed that 50,000 Americans a year die from the effects of second hand smoke. Even vapes are now being attacked on the grounds that schoolkids are known to use them.

Sometimes we need Lady Lib, sometimes we wish she would take longer siestas from time to time.
The only reality is the moment that we call "Now".
= = = =
We evolved to seek dinner, not to seek the truth - Mark Whatever
Bill
Site Admin
Site Admin

Blog: View Blog (8)

Postby Carrie » Sun Mar 29, 2015 11:18 am

True, but tobacco doesn't seem to have the devious criminal stigma attached to it that has been attached to cannabis even though it's more harmful. I guess because tobacco has a deeper history here?
Carrie
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Bill » Sun Mar 29, 2015 11:27 am

Indeed. On a scale of instant harm the sequence goes Cannabis, alcohol, tobacco, the opiates and then the injected drugs. People who ignore drug control laws tend to try all five, which is why those with limited analytic prowess look on cannabis as a "gateway" drug leading to opiates and injectable drugs. A more accurate picture would be that those who start on cannabis could "progress" to alcohol next.

But showing that cannabis is the least harmful recreational drug only enrages the Calvinist and the Baptist, who take great exception to all things that give pleasure.
The only reality is the moment that we call "Now".
= = = =
We evolved to seek dinner, not to seek the truth - Mark Whatever
Bill
Site Admin
Site Admin

Blog: View Blog (8)

PreviousNext

Return to Water Cooler