Lies in favor of Cannabis

Chat about whatever takes your fancy

Re: Lies in favor of Cannabis

Postby gilnv » Sun Mar 29, 2015 1:55 pm

Other states being angry over Colorado's drugs reaching over their border is probably like prohibition when alcohol was outlawed. Only now, instead of alcohol across the Canadian border, it is people buying marijuana in Colorado thru friends (or business partners) and then driving it to Oklahoma, Nebraska, or Minnesota.
And I suspect it's true, because why smuggle pot from another country if it can be bought in an easier safer place.
This makes me wonder if states could start suing each other whenever people get drunk in another state and then drive home getting into an accident? Some states have different age limits for alcohol, therefore many young people travel there to party. When I was younger in Michigan, we would travel to Ohio because Ohio had a younger age limit.
the divine isn't a living entity, it is the living force within all of us.
- Sadhguru
gilnv

Affiliation: Agnostic

Postby Bill » Sun Mar 29, 2015 3:25 pm

This matter gives an insight into one of the more rarefied areas of the US legal system. When a State wishes to sue another State, the only place permitted to hear arguments and decide the issue is the Supreme Court itself. And, not being a rank and file "ordinary" court, the Supreme Court picks and chooses which cases it will actually hear. If it decides not to have a trial on this complaint, the whole affair simply disappears as if it had never been filed.

The case has to rest on the Federal administration's authority to regulate trade. The complaint mentions that drug enforcement is "harmed" by Colorado's legislation of pot, but the nitty gritty simply asks the Supreme Court to put an end to the trade in pot. It will still be legal, you could grow your own and give away the excess. The real aim of the law suit is to put an end to pot shops.

Those with far more impressive legal qualifications that I ever shall have are virtually universal is saying that if the complaint actually gets heard, it will almost certainly fail. Since Congress cannot order States to make pot illegal, an attempt to create such an effect is very unlikely to hold sway.

But it all makes for interesting discussion over an after dinner digestive - particularly when contemplating that such potable beveridges were once illegal throughout the land.
The only reality is the moment that we call "Now".
= = = =
We evolved to seek dinner, not to seek the truth - Mark Whatever
Bill
Site Admin
Site Admin

Blog: View Blog (8)

Postby gilnv » Sun Mar 29, 2015 4:39 pm

Maybe we need courts that are not affected by emotions, potable beveridges, public opinion, religion, etc.

Could we be better off with computers being the judge and jury?

We have certainly seen many kangaroo courts and courtroom trials where justice was not served. The OJ case was probably the most visible case with the outcome basically decided by the types of jury members chosen. That case showed how absurd our courtrooms can be, and how one's ability to buy the most expensive lawyers in the country can affect the outcome. Not many objective viewers agree with the outcome. .

I realize computers would have some outcomes that aren't well.
But, thoughout history, minorities don't get equal justice. That includes minority races, religions, poor facial appearances, poor people, people born on the wrong side of the tracks, people that aren't born into the upper crust of society, etc.
- Sadhguru
gilnv

Postby Bill » Sun Mar 29, 2015 4:48 pm

I personally think we need to move down the chain and tackle the thorny issue of how citizens are chosen to stand trial. In the majority of jurisdictions, the acid test for a DA is "Can I get a conviction?". Whether the person put on trial is innocent of any crime seems to be totally immaterial - indeed, more than one DA has withheld evidence that suggested the person on trial might be innocent. And if a potential convict carries enough emotional baggage to guarantee a plus on the win column, most DAs have no qualms in sending innocent people to jail.

The number of convictions that get overturned because such evidence eventually finds the light of day is possibly something an electronic judge and jury would not reduce.
The only reality is the moment that we call "Now".
= = = =
We evolved to seek dinner, not to seek the truth - Mark Whatever
Bill
Site Admin
Site Admin

Blog: View Blog (8)

Postby Carrie » Thu Nov 19, 2015 10:02 am

After a two years I have to say I think most people are self medicating. I think this plant is used for coping and escapism more than anything else. How much escapism is needed before one tries to actually change the things they can and cope with things they can't?
Carrie
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby romansh » Fri Nov 20, 2015 6:50 pm

Carrie wrote:After a two years I have to say I think most people are self medicating. I think this plant is used for coping and escapism more than anything else. How much escapism is needed before one tries to actually change the things they can and cope with things they can't?

I self medicate with Shiraz, Malbec and the occasional Cab Sauvignon.
"That's right!" shouted Vroomfondel, "we demand rigidly defined areas of doubt and uncertainty!"
Douglas Adams
romansh
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby gilnv » Wed Nov 25, 2015 6:54 pm

True, most folks seem to be using marijuana for mood more than
physical ailments. That can be okay, but it can be not okay too if they're just 'boozed and smoked up' at the wrong times.

One woman I was dating this past summer seemed to know which medical cannabis she could drive a car on and which cannabis she shouldn't. She originally got the cannabis after a radiation treatment for throat cancer. But I must admit, there were times when she became such a giddy optimistic flower child of the hippy 60's that I questioned her grasp on reality.
Peace, love, Gil.
- Sadhguru
gilnv

Postby gilnv » Mon May 01, 2017 8:47 am

Drugs and Driving,
They’ve now surpassed alcohol in fatal accidents

I've noticed this article that says "marijuana has caught up to the number of fatalities of alcohol driving deaths".
http://registerguard.com/rg/opinion/35525458-78/drugs-and-driving.html.csp

:scoot:
- Sadhguru
gilnv

Postby Dissily Mordentroge » Thu May 04, 2017 2:39 am

Carrie wrote:After a two years I have to say I think most people are self medicating. I think this plant is used for coping and escapism more than anything else. How much escapism is needed before one tries to actually change the things they can and cope with things they can't?

Can we all please stop making broad generalisations based on mere supposition. Different drugs affect different people in different ways. Some individuals will find canabis encreases their awarness of the world providing an experience far more dangerous to mental health than so called escapism. Those who do use canabis as a coping mechanism and for escape often gravitate to any drug, especially alcohol, providing similar social and personal anasthesia .
The major danger with psychoactive drugs is in providing false information to potential consumers, especially the young.
As to " How much escapism is needed before one tries to actually change the things they can and cope with things they can't?" can we please stop burrying history and admit the hippie and flower power generation initiated far more social change than many subsequent generations. The birth of the ecology movement as a serious planet wide movement, the end of US intervention in Vietnam - the list could go on. OK, there were some seriously negative effects at the same time but most of them were the direct result of making canabis and other drugs a black market commodity.
The Human Race is Insane.
Dissily Mordentroge

Postby Dissily Mordentroge » Fri May 05, 2017 7:01 pm

gilnv wrote:Drugs and Driving,
They’ve now surpassed alcohol in fatal accidents

I've noticed this article that says "marijuana has caught up to the number of fatalities of alcohol driving deaths".
http://registerguard.com/rg/opinion/35525458-78/drugs-and-driving.html.csp

:scoot:

An interesting article but like so many journalists who quote statistics they should have read "How to Lie with Statistics' before setting pen to paper - bashing the keyboard. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/How_to_Li ... Statistics

As well as questioning the sanity of driving under the influence of psychoactive substances there's a pressing need to look at the generation raised on computer games who are desensitised to accidents from an early age. They seldom manage to differentiate between the lack of risk of injury or death with games and the very real risks of 'playing the game' with real cars out there in the real world. Drugs or no drugs, this is an issue we are failing to research.That and the total insanity of using dashboard IT/navigation/gaming/screens whilst driving/ texting etc etc. With Apple, Microsoft and Samsung et al developing virtual reality glasses indistinguishable from ordinary specs the potential for drivers to 'entertain' themselves whilst driving is nightmarish.
The Human Race is Insane.
Dissily Mordentroge

Previous

Return to Water Cooler