Is Agnostics International Forum on the way to extinction?

If you would like to see a new feature, a change in procedure or anything else let us know.

Is Agnostics International Forum on the way to extinction?

Postby Dissily Mordentroge » Mon May 01, 2017 11:30 pm

And if so, why?
The Human Race is Insane.
Dissily Mordentroge

Affiliation: Agnostic

Re: Is Agnostics International Forum on the way to extinctio

Postby Dissily Mordentroge » Tue May 02, 2017 6:25 am

Think I've answered my own question.
Dissily Mordentroge

Postby gilnv » Tue May 02, 2017 8:13 am

I notice some new and old posters showing up every year, neither stay active but they keep showing up every few months, therefore I think the forum can continue like this forever.

There will alway be some people questioning certain things and although agnosticism is not likely to be a fevered following, it will always be in a sentient's realm of thought and discussion.
And considering that the world has about 7 billion people, there is always a possibility that the forum could get huge (for better or worse).
It may also relate to advertising on the site, I hate to think about more advertising on the internet but that may actually lead some people to the site although it would also lead some people away from the site.
the divine isn't a living entity, it is the living force within all of us.
- Sadhguru
gilnv

Postby Bill » Tue May 02, 2017 11:40 am

We also have a facebook page that has nearly 700 likes and a similar number of followers - all members of this forum have the ability and are invited to post items there if they want a wider audience for their ideas and notions.

(The same rules of netiquette apply there in pretty much they do here: rant a little too loudly and a friendly admin will step in to correct any error). :)
The only reality is the moment that we call "Now".
= = = =
We evolved to seek dinner, not to seek the truth - Mark Whatever
Bill
Site Admin
Site Admin

Blog: View Blog (8)

Postby Dissily Mordentroge » Tue May 02, 2017 3:59 pm

Having moderated several forums myself over the years and been involved in their creation I suggest the most important aspect of any web site, be it Facebook, a forum or whatever, is how the design attracts hits from search engines. Similar forums attract far more traffic.https://atheistforums.org I suspect the popularity of social media sites taking traffic away isn't the main explanation although social media is indeed drowning out substantive in depth discussions for a generation who now have the attention span of a gnat.
I have no detailed understanding of how Google etc algorithms sniff around the web but suspect using the term 'International' in the forum's title works against hits. I'm happy to be proven wrong but the silence of this place is beginning to puzzle me.
I also suspect having 'A forum for people of all persuasions.as the sub heading gives the site no leverage with search engines.Again I'd be happy to be proven wrong.
Dissily Mordentroge

Postby romansh » Tue May 02, 2017 9:48 pm

A little bit of history ...

Essentially this site rose out of the ashes of agnosticforums.com.
It was moderately active with perhaps about 30 active members.
The owner "sold" to someone who just did not care and essentially ran the site into the ground ... one morning we woke up and it was gone.
Anyway Bill and I were in contact and Bill was the driver behind this site and it started as
http://agnosticsinternational.freeforums.org/index.php the shell is still alive ... we were in touch with a few of the members from the old agnosticsforums website.

We decided to start are own "free standing website without ads and this was the very first post if I remember correctly ... back in Dec 2010. During the next two years the site was doing really well ... eg if you googled "agnostic forum" it would show up on the first page.

Then disaster struck ... we lost control of the url agnosticsinternational.net. And to buy it back the cost at the time was unreasonable. So agnosticsinternational.org was born. But since that time we have struggled to build up the popularity of the site. We get very little new blood and people get a life and drift away.

So in some ways those remaining are a little inbred ... and I mean that in the nicest of ways.

We get many visits but the vast majority are bots and spiders.
"That's right!" shouted Vroomfondel, "we demand rigidly defined areas of doubt and uncertainty!"
Douglas Adams
romansh
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Dissily Mordentroge » Wed May 03, 2017 4:02 am

Is it the case, as rumour has it, to get a top listing on some search engines you have to actually bribe them in some way?
If so the web is in a bigger mess than I'd ever imagined.
How I wish when the web was created Tim Berners Lee had handed the organisation of it's structure over to a team of skilled librarian/cataloguers and not a bunch of greedy, shortsighted nerds.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dewey_Dec ... sification
Dissily Mordentroge

Postby Dissily Mordentroge » Wed May 10, 2017 4:05 am

? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ?
Dissily Mordentroge

Postby romansh » Sat May 13, 2017 6:08 pm

My understanding there is a small fee for service that joining up with Google can get you enhanced traffic ... not sure never tried to find out.
"That's right!" shouted Vroomfondel, "we demand rigidly defined areas of doubt and uncertainty!"
Douglas Adams
romansh
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Dissily Mordentroge » Thu Jun 01, 2017 5:25 pm

I'm getting very tired of trying to communicate with an empty room - - - - - - - - -
Dissily Mordentroge

Next

Return to Forum Business