People's "right" not to vaccinate?

Discussions related to politics and social issues
(the impact of religion on society)

Re: People's "right" not to vaccinate?

Postby Bill » Sat Feb 07, 2015 4:30 am

I have absolutely not one hint of a problem with an adult refusing to get vaccinated for whatever reason, or lack of reason, they have.

The "what the hell are you thinking" only comes to my mind when those self same guys and gals decide that their kids should take their chances and stay at risk. We had no problem in eradicating polio from the list of child mortality statistics. But that happened before one highly vocal sect decided to wage war on this particular method of child protection.
The only reality is the moment that we call "Now".
= = = =
We evolved to seek dinner, not to seek the truth - Mark Whatever
Bill
Site Admin
Site Admin

Blog: View Blog (8)
Affiliation: Agnostic

Postby Carrie » Sat Feb 07, 2015 4:16 pm

Didn't the fear of the Polio vaccination have something to do with this?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/HIV_trial_in_Libya

Back again to the Autism issue. Here is an article written by a woman with Autism named Sarah Kurchak. Brilliant and I think everyone should read this before they want to "fix" someone else with Autism.

https://medium.com/the-archipelago/im-a ... cb039f4bea
Carrie
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Ayn Marx » Sat Feb 07, 2015 11:59 pm

I have a theory there's more than just new age moronic thinking involved in rejecting vaccination and want to suggest very early sub-conscious trauma received during vaccination is manifesting as opposition to the practice due to repressed fears . We need to address the problem of the actual vaccination process being so traumatic to young infants who then go on as adults to vehemently oppose all vaccination.
Oral vaccination is one method but it doesn't always work in triggering immunity to some diseases.
There's the additional new age ( why do we call the ancient curse of superstition 'new'?) loathing of science which for many threatens their absurd preference for a fairly tale world where gnomes still live at the bottom of the garden and Father Christmas is still real. Crystal healing of smallpox anyone?
The Human Race is Insane
Ayn Marx

Postby Carrie » Sun Feb 08, 2015 7:38 am

Never thought of that Ayn. It could be a problem for some people. :?
I wonder why they don't have more oral or maybe nasal vaccinations like for the flu?
Carrie
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Inquisitor » Sun Feb 08, 2015 10:32 am

@ Carrie.....Emailed you, not sure if you got it. If you did, maybe you misinterpreted my explanation. Could not find a way to contact you through the panel. If my explanation was inadequate, sorry. I'd try again if you want.
“The reason I talk to myself is because I’m the only one whose answers I accept.”
― George Carlin
Inquisitor

Affiliation: Atheist

Postby Bill » Sun Feb 08, 2015 10:38 am

@inquisitor. If you click on any members name under their avatar, on the lower left hand side of the page then shown, you will get links to send that member either a personal message or an email.
= = = =
Bill
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby gilnv » Sun Feb 08, 2015 11:05 am

Bill wrote:I have absolutely not one hint of a problem with an adult refusing to get vaccinated for whatever reason, or lack of reason, they have.

The "what the hell are you thinking" only comes to my mind when those self same guys and gals decide that their kids should take their chances and stay at risk. We had no problem in eradicating polio from the list of child mortality statistics. But that happened before one highly vocal sect decided to wage war on this particular method of child protection.

Again, I want to state that I'm not against all vaccines, but I am against the lack of the con side of this agruement. On facebook, I only notice the pro side and never the con side.
For example, I can understand parents (I don't label them with insulting names, I suspect they care about their children) that don't trust the government and/or pharmaceutical companies that have lied too many times to my face. Especially, if those parents have seen any whistleblower type of statements like this - (it can be found by googleing William W. Thompson
My name is William Thompson. I am a Senior Scientist with the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, where I have worked since 1998.
I regret that my coauthors and I omitted statistically significant information in our 2004 article published in the journal Pediatrics. The omitted data suggested that African American males who received the MMR vaccine before age 36 months were at increased risk for autism. Decisions were made regarding which findings to report after the data were collected, and I believe that the final study protocol was not followed
the divine isn't a living entity, it is the living force within all of us.
- Sadhguru
gilnv

Postby Carrie » Sun Feb 08, 2015 12:03 pm

Inquisitor wrote:@ Carrie.....Emailed you, not sure if you got it. If you did, maybe you misinterpreted my explanation. Could not find a way to contact you through the panel. If my explanation was inadequate, sorry. I'd try again if you want.

Sorry. I didn't get your reply. I think I need to fix my settings.
It was my settings. I apologize. :oops:
Carrie
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Bill » Sun Feb 08, 2015 12:23 pm

When one looks at the con side of the vaccine argument, one seems to be only able to find anecdotal evidence dressed up as some sort of proof and total distortion of data to give a misleading impression. One UK site reported that in a year under review, over 100 people died as an after effect of having a measles vaccination and not one person had died from the disease. Ergo it was better to forgo the treatment. (No, I did not make that up). In 2010, because of the widespread use of vaccinations, there was a total of 500 cases of measles in that Country. Japan - which suffered serious impact from the mumps portion of MMR vaccine - had a much larger unvaccinated population in 2010, and 2500 deaths were caused by measles.

If you carefully select the data, you can make a case for or against almost anything. I say almost, for it would take very special skills to make any sort of case in support of ISIS. And I think you might see that the lack of a case FOR ISIS is not in itself a rebuttal for all the cases made AGAINST that gang of terrorists.

Incidentally, the colleagues of W.W. Thompson have pointed out that they did not suppress data indicating an autism link to African-American children under the age of 36 months, on the grounds that there was no data to indicate any such cause and effect. The ten year gap between publication and whistle blowing seems a tad hard to understand, as well.
= = = =
Bill
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Carrie » Sun Feb 08, 2015 12:43 pm

Here is an interesting paper by the U.S. National Bureau of Economic Research about the "Distribution of of Mortality Over the 20th Century".
It has some data about vaccines as well as other health related information. The drawback is the information only went up to 1995, but things seemed to be getting better overall. It doesn't seem biased either way, because their focus is economics.

(A strange phenomena I noticed is the increase in smoking AFTER the studies were published about smoking causing cancers. :? :stars:
Is that part of the "Don't tell me that my drug of choice is bad for me!!" attitude? Forbidden fruit etc... )

http://www.nber.org/papers/w8556.pdf
Carrie
Site Admin
Site Admin

PreviousNext

Return to Political and Social Discussions