Neil deGrasse Tyson: Scientology is no different than others

Discussions related to politics and social issues
(the impact of religion on society)

Neil deGrasse Tyson: Scientology is no different than others

Postby Carrie » Wed Apr 01, 2015 12:38 pm

His point in this article makes sense to me. It seems that it is the passing of time that turns a cult into an accepted religion.

https://www.yahoo.com/movies/s/neil-deg ... 21126.html
Carrie
Site Admin
Site Admin

Affiliation: Agnostic

Re: Neil deGrasse Tyson: Scientology is no different than ot

Postby gilnv » Thu Apr 02, 2015 5:44 pm

I have not researched what Scientology's main beliefs are, but they might be more of a philosophy than a religion. I really have no idea if they are a philosophy or a religion, but if it was researched maybe I would have an opinion.
I say this because a lot of philosophical beliefs can be close to being a religion if we don't figure out someplace to draw a line between 'what a religion is and what a philosophy is'.
From the land of melting snow and thawing ground, philosophical Gil.
the divine isn't a living entity, it is the living force within all of us.
- Sadhguru
gilnv

Postby romansh » Fri Apr 03, 2015 11:44 am

The question for me is, what do we want to do about it, if anything?
"That's right!" shouted Vroomfondel, "we demand rigidly defined areas of doubt and uncertainty!"
Douglas Adams
romansh
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Bill » Fri Apr 03, 2015 1:42 pm

From wiki:

The Church of Scientology says that a human is an immortal, spiritual being (termed thetan from the Greek word 'theta' meaning life force), that is resident in a physical body. The thetan has had innumerable past lives and it is observed in advanced Scientology texts that lives preceding the thetan's arrival on Earth were lived in extraterrestrial cultures. Based on case studies at advanced levels, it is predicted that any Scientologist undergoing auditing will eventually come across and recount a common series of events.

Some opine that Scientology straddles religion and psychology (rather than philosophy). Scientology does not require that their members must exclusively believe in Scientology, distinguishing it from biblical religions. Scientologists may profess belief in other religions, such as Protestantism and Catholicism, and may participate in their activities and sacred rites.

And it is the Mormons who wear magic underwear, not the Scientologists. A mistake many make, for a number of witticisms about Tom Cruise hinge upon the wrong understanding that he wears such a garment.

It is worth noting that other Churches tend to describe Scientology as "a vile cult", but that might just be professional jealousy over how quickly the movement has amassed a large fortune in worldly goods - some $400 million at the last count, according to the NY Times.

I suppose the practical concern is that the Cohen Brothers have demonstrated to get 45 or so congressmen and 5 or so Senators elected to follow one's personal agenda costs about about $50 million. Should the Scientologists decide to take over the US government, they certainly have a war chest large enough to purchase a near majority in both chambers. I do not think we need to be unduly concerned about such a move just yet, for the organization seems to have no political aspirations whatsoever. And their attempt back in 1980 to be a major force in child education in the USA ended in total failure.
The only reality is the moment that we call "Now".
= = = =
We evolved to seek dinner, not to seek the truth - Mark Whatever
Bill
Site Admin
Site Admin

Blog: View Blog (8)

Postby whateverist » Tue Apr 07, 2015 9:59 pm

Personally I find Scientology more objectionable than any other form of religion. (I don't find all forms of religion objectionable, by the way.) If you look at the way they exploit people, especially children - making them sign multi-lifetime contracts to serve the church - I find much that should flat out be challenged legally. The whole history of it as the brain child of a paranoid science fiction writer really makes it appropriate to challenge its legal status as a religion.

Regarding the recent HBO documentary: http://www.hbo.com/documentaries/going-clear#/
You can call me Mark or whatever.

“Tiger got to hunt, bird got to fly;
Man got to sit and wonder 'why, why, why?'
Tiger got to sleep, bird got to land;
Man got to tell himself he understand.”
― Kurt Vonnegut, Cat's Cradle
whateverist
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Carrie » Wed Apr 08, 2015 2:24 pm

whateverist wrote:Personally I find Scientology more objectionable than any other form of religion. (I don't find all forms of religion objectionable, by the way.) If you look at the way they exploit people, especially children - making them sign multi-lifetime contracts to serve the church - I find much that should flat out be challenged legally. The whole history of it as the brain child of a paranoid science fiction writer really makes it appropriate to challenge its legal status as a religion.

Regarding the recent HBO documentary: http://www.hbo.com/documentaries/going-clear#/

I don't like Scientology either. I think it's a load of crap to be honest, but as far as worse than the other religions? I think it's just as bad as some, but in different ways.
None of the other religions require people to sign a contract to my knowledge, but they threaten people into submission with punishments if they don't comply with their rules and doctrine, and some of the punishments are supposedly eternal. That's pretty abusive as well in my opinion.
Carrie
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby whateverist » Wed Apr 08, 2015 4:57 pm

I don't think many other churches - only JW's comes to mine - works as hard to enforce the expulsion of those who lose leave the church even between family members. I suspect a real case could be made for a trial against the leaders of that church.
You can call me Mark or whatever.

“Tiger got to hunt, bird got to fly;
Man got to sit and wonder 'why, why, why?'
Tiger got to sleep, bird got to land;
Man got to tell himself he understand.”
― Kurt Vonnegut, Cat's Cradle
whateverist
Site Admin
Site Admin

Return to Political and Social Discussions