More research on why shooters act?

Discussions related to politics and social issues
(the impact of religion on society)

More research on why shooters act?

Postby Carrie » Fri Dec 04, 2015 8:14 am

The problem with more research in my opinion is that the answers are going to be as varied as the people who do these things, but I still think it would be helpful.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/mas ... ef=science
Carrie
Site Admin
Site Admin

Affiliation: Agnostic

Re: More research on why shooters act?

Postby romansh » Sun Dec 06, 2015 12:02 pm

Yep I think get what you are saying.

We do live in a casual mesh that drives us in one direction or another.

But there are nodes that we fix on or perhaps blame for what others and we do.
I wonder what are the causes behind the Fiore family?
https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid ... =3&theater
"That's right!" shouted Vroomfondel, "we demand rigidly defined areas of doubt and uncertainty!"
Douglas Adams
romansh
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Carrie » Tue Dec 08, 2015 9:06 am

I have no idea. Paranoia? Who knows?
I guess that is why more study is needed about people who really take things to extremes and decide others must adhere to their beliefs or die.

I have a theory though, It seems that many people are feeling like their identities are threatened because of an ever changing world and I think the internet has helped that along by exposing people to so many different ideas, so some react by "digging in" and more aggressively defending their beliefs.

The thing I really don't understand is why some insist that others need to think the same way or they are cast as "evil". Tribal instinct maybe? In today's world does the strong tribal instinct help us or make things worse?
Carrie
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby romansh » Fri Dec 11, 2015 8:26 am

Carrie wrote: The thing I really don't understand is why some insist that others need to think the same way or they are cast as "evil". Tribal instinct maybe? In today's world does the strong tribal instinct help us or make things worse?

The way I look at this "evil" thingy is that it is a figment of our imaginations. At best it is a definition thing that allows us to somehow marginalize our evil opposition.

Regarding gun ownership ... when thinking about it carefully, I look at my objectives, and see whether gun ownership helps meet these objectives. I find it does not and consequently don't own one. Having said this, I suspect my careful thought might simply be a confabulation ... a product of cultural indoctrination having grown up in the UK.

I don't want to kill anyone, so I don't own a gun. Having a gun for defence is pointless unless one is prepared to use it. (To test this thought, why would someone not own a really good imitation?)
"That's right!" shouted Vroomfondel, "we demand rigidly defined areas of doubt and uncertainty!"
Douglas Adams
romansh
Site Admin
Site Admin

Return to Political and Social Discussions