Bias bubbles and how we react to a post fact world

Discussions related to politics and social issues
(the impact of religion on society)

Bias bubbles and how we react to a post fact world

Postby subtlegong » Sun Mar 26, 2017 4:03 pm

My sister and brother-in-law are becoming alt-right Trump supporters to such degree that every conversation is another walk on egg shells. I discovered today that one of my favorite celebrities has come to believe that immigrants and minorities are criminals over the course of the past year or so, also talking about how America should strive toward ethnic and cultural purity. I've got friends planning escape routes and building bunkers because the media tells them that the end is looming over us ever since 45 became president. I understand what's causing it, biased media bubbles and the spead of intentionally false information for various groups indocturnations, but I don't understand how effected by it I am or how to conduct myself in a post fact world. I'm confused by all of this. Do I boycott people taken in by unfounded hate they're fed? Do I condemn people for unfounded fear that they're fed? Do I attempt to continue to stay informed, not knowing if I'm also being fed falsehoods, and try to correct the hate or fear of others? What is the correct course in a post fact world?
We seek the truth and will endure the consequences~ Charles Seymour
Do not hate the hateful. Educate them~ self
subtlegong
Distinguished Member
Distinguished Member

Blog: View Blog (2)

Re: Bias bubbles and how we react to a post fact world

Postby romansh » Sun Mar 26, 2017 6:25 pm

My dislike of the present POTUS started way back ... basically my dislike was how he behaved on the few minutes of the Apprentice that I could stand to watch.

It was strongly reinforced by the rhetoric I observed on the GOP debates. Mostly it was based on the way he treated the other candidates (as weak as they were). His stated policies did not help.

I tend to go to the BBC news website ... which of course is not without its biases but is I think (hope) relatively neutral.

The good news is I never had to vote in that election. My heart goes out to all Americans.
"That's right!" shouted Vroomfondel, "we demand rigidly defined areas of doubt and uncertainty!"
Douglas Adams
romansh
Site Admin
Site Admin

Affiliation: Agnostic

Postby subtlegong » Sun Mar 26, 2017 7:57 pm

45 is a symptom of hate, fear, and misinformation taking over our day to day information. It all started when the 24 hour news cycles became sensationalized garbage all day long not just in America but anywhere where a large amount of the populace has tvs. Including Canada, Rom. Then came the online sources that felt that the sensational garbage on tv just wasn't biases enough and that's where hateful kooks like 45 got legitimized. Just another hateful dishonest person spreading around anti-vax insanity or outright bigoted demanding of Obama's birth certificate. So many more like him forcing their own views on us through the abuse of the internets capabilities and their own willful ignorance. Now facts are an opinion and the guy saying Jews are pig monsters that need to be exterminated has every right becauseit's his political beliefs. How did we let this happen?
subtlegong
Distinguished Member
Distinguished Member

Postby gilnv » Tue Mar 28, 2017 8:07 am

How did we let this happen? Is that a fair question?
Personally, my first thought is that the people that voted for Trump are responsible for Trump being in office. The people that didn't vote for him are not responsible, so I'm not blaming them.
If I blamed people that didn't vote for Trump, what would be my next venting, blaming canadians?
Sure, I think the media is partly to blame, but this is all humane nature. Maybe the bad side of human nature, but it is nothing new. The U.S. is just showing some of its bad side, actually the rest of the world has known and suspected there was a bad side for a long time.
I applaud your efforts to point out the bad side of right wingers, although I don't join in the blaming of people that let it happen. Afterall, I have enough trouble putting up with my friends that vote for Trump, I can't start finding reasons to dislike my friends that didn't vote for him but 'let it happen'.
The media has taken a bad hurtful turn over the past few decades. It is a profitable turn in terms of money, but it is a bad turn for society.
If you're not blaming people that 'let it happen', I'm sorry for inferring it, I'm just overly sensitive because I tend to vote 3rd parties, and therefore I get told too often "but you are wasting your vote and letting someone else win.".
the divine isn't a living entity, it is the living force within all of us.
- Sadhguru
gilnv

Postby subtlegong » Tue Mar 28, 2017 2:53 pm

gilnv wrote:How did we let this happen? Is that a fair question?
Personally, my first thought is that the people that voted for Trump are responsible for Trump being in office. The people that didn't vote for him are not responsible, so I'm not blaming them.
If I blamed people that didn't vote for Trump, what would be my next venting, blaming canadians?
Sure, I think the media is partly to blame, but this is all humane nature. Maybe the bad side of human nature, but it is nothing new. The U.S. is just showing some of its bad side, actually the rest of the world has known and suspected there was a bad side for a long time.
I applaud your efforts to point out the bad side of right wingers, although I don't join in the blaming of people that let it happen. Afterall, I have enough trouble putting up with my friends that vote for Trump, I can't start finding reasons to dislike my friends that didn't vote for him but 'let it happen'.
The media has taken a bad hurtful turn over the past few decades. It is a profitable turn in terms of money, but it is a bad turn for society.
If you're not blaming people that 'let it happen', I'm sorry for inferring it, I'm just overly sensitive because I tend to vote 3rd parties, and therefore I get told too often "but you are wasting your vote and letting someone else win.".

Like I said, 45 is just a symptom of our irresonsibly dishonest media. Other symptoms include our perceived war on Christianity, climate change being treated like propaganda, PC culture growing maybe not as oppressive as some claim but still fairly oppressive anyway, media outlets strongly reinforcing subdivisions of various culture group and why you should distrust/hate them, and generally diverting our attention from dangerous developments with pop culture trivia. Both 'parties' are responsible for this misinformation and subterfuge, not just in America but in so many other nations now; the fragmented nations of the former Soviet Union being tricked into veiwing Putin as a great warrior king, Britons being tricked into thinking that leaving the EU will make the economically strong and ethnically pure, or the nations of the Middle East being fed constant garbage that it's really just muslims against a world of heathens that hate them. America is being fed the same hate/fear/misinformation as the rest of the world so my question is, again but more succinctly stated, how do sane and uncompromised people fight back (assuming that there is such a thing as sanity or a lack of compromise anymore) against a world that is so fundimentally broken now?
subtlegong
Distinguished Member
Distinguished Member

Postby romansh » Tue Mar 28, 2017 3:59 pm

And the media are a reflection of what we want and have time for.
"That's right!" shouted Vroomfondel, "we demand rigidly defined areas of doubt and uncertainty!"
Douglas Adams
romansh
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby subtlegong » Wed Mar 29, 2017 7:28 pm

romansh wrote:And the media are a reflection of what we want and have time for.

Very sadly true statement, rom. Reel reflects real.
subtlegong
Distinguished Member
Distinguished Member

Postby gilnv » Sat Apr 08, 2017 10:13 am

:lol:
the divine isn't a living entity, it is the living force within all of us.
- Sadhguru
gilnv

Postby Carrie » Sun Apr 16, 2017 10:53 am

I think we have always had bia bubbles and I wonder if the world was ever really pro-fact in the first place. :?
Alot of people seem to just enjoy the lies or are in denial. I try denial from time to time. :oops:

Today or me my "bias bubble" about Easter (from what I was taught a child) is causing me to feel guilty today for not following the usual rituals. People would say I feel empty because I lost "God" when I stopped being a Christian.

No.. I lost a lot of family. It's sad that they don't want to talk to me anymore. I don't wish them harm. I just disagree, but to disagree is the join forces with the dark side. :roll:
Carrie
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby romansh » Sun Apr 16, 2017 12:11 pm

Carrie wrote: No.. I lost a lot of family. It's sad that they don't want to talk to me anymore. I don't wish them harm. I just disagree, but to disagree is the join forces with the dark side. :roll:

My heart goes out to you Carrie. I have lost all my immediate family except my wife. I do have some family back in Europe and I have only have had chance to spend a couple or months or so with them over the last sixteen years.

Another sad thing is that from what I can see from Canada is that you have been more Christian and accepting than they have.

And in another universe we might be celebrating Ēostre ... yep celebrate your inner goddess Carrie. Trust all is going well with your family.

rom
Douglas Adams
romansh
Site Admin
Site Admin

Next

Return to Political and Social Discussions