God is dying

Re: God is dying

Postby romansh » Tue Jan 27, 2015 12:03 am

Ayn Marx wrote:
romansh wrote:Well never having had a philosophy class in my life (I suspect some wag might say it shows)

What do you think you've been doing on this forum?

Discussing stuff, exchanging ideas.
"That's right!" shouted Vroomfondel, "we demand rigidly defined areas of doubt and uncertainty!"
Douglas Adams
romansh
Site Admin
Site Admin

Affiliation: Agnostic

Postby Ayn Marx » Tue Jan 27, 2015 3:22 am

romansh wrote:
Ayn Marx wrote:
romansh wrote:Well never having had a philosophy class in my life (I suspect some wag might say it shows)

What do you think you've been doing on this forum?

Discussing stuff, exchanging ideas.

To some an exellent definition of philosophy. If you browse through Plato's dialogues you'll find a process not unlike that which takes place here, plus or minus a few insults.
The Human Race is Insane
Ayn Marx

Postby pathofwater » Thu Jan 21, 2016 8:27 am

Having been a Christian minister at one time, who slowly came to the conclusion that religion in general is more about human/cultural narratives and power than it is about a deity of any sort, I agree with the idea that strong belief in god is slowly diminishing. I have read about, spoken to and know many ministers in the christian faith that are slowly coming to the place of agnosticism and/or atheism. Additionally, while many people still hold on to faith of some sort, the belief in "hell" or punishment from god is largely falling by the wayside in our younger generations. Sure there are some who have been indoctrinated in the faith of their parents, but by and large, those damnation ideas, which held so many in various brands of christian faith are losing hold. So even though people are still attending church, that doesn't mean that they are controlled by the dogmatism of the conservative side, nor does it mean that they are culturally militant against much that the church normally stirred the masses against, e.g. homosexuality, gay marriage, abortion and many other issues. Our youth are much more open and tolerant and don't see what the big deal is.

So is god dying, the idea remains but isn't what it used to be and that encourages me that things are moving in the direction of openness, which is positive.
All experience is preceded by mind,
led by mind,
Made by mind..."
Dhammapada verse 1
pathofwater

Postby Bill » Fri Jan 22, 2016 3:22 pm

I agree with your sentiments entirely.

But I do note that we still need secular non-profits like "It Get's Better" to try to reduce the number of suicides among young Christian gays who are riddled with church-fed guilt about their natural sexuality.
The only reality is the moment that we call "Now".
= = = =
We evolved to seek dinner, not to seek the truth - Mark Whatever
Bill
Site Admin
Site Admin

Blog: View Blog (8)

Postby romansh » Fri Jan 22, 2016 7:06 pm

pathofwater wrote:So is god dying, the idea remains but isn't what it used to be and that encourages me that things are moving in the direction of openness, which is positive.

I don't know whether god or its idea is dying, but I am of the position that I have no need of that hypothesis ... a two hundred year old idea.

Nice to "see" you again :)
"That's right!" shouted Vroomfondel, "we demand rigidly defined areas of doubt and uncertainty!"
Douglas Adams
romansh
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby pathofwater » Mon Jan 25, 2016 2:30 am

I have no need of any idea of God, because in reality I think the idea is reflective of the ones believing, not some divine entity.

Nice to be back.
All experience is preceded by mind,
led by mind,
Made by mind..."
Dhammapada verse 1
pathofwater

Postby alka » Thu Mar 31, 2016 2:29 pm

it dosent matter how many scientific discoveries \ explanations there is there will all ways be people that Believe in a god / goddes mainly out of fear :devil:
alka

Affiliation: Atheist

Postby Bill » Thu Mar 31, 2016 3:25 pm

Until there is some overwhelming proof that God does not exist, some people will believe that at least one does exist. A bit like the free-will debate: since neither side can make an irrefutable case, both sides will continue to have the correct belief for evermore.
= = = =
Bill
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby alka » Sat Apr 02, 2016 4:12 pm

Bill wrote:Until there is some overwhelming proof that God does not exist, some people will believe that at least one does exist. A bit like the free-will debate: since neither side can make an irrefutable case, both sides will continue to have the correct belief for evermore.

correct but if science proves a god does not exist there will be people that will say we'll that God dosent exist but this one does or just because this god doesn't exist that doesn't mean one doesn't :angel: :pray:
alka

Affiliation: Atheist

Postby Bill » Sun Apr 03, 2016 10:54 am

Science does not disprove the existence of god. Science says something like "science can only work with the physical universe. Things in a para-physical universe are outside of scientific scope, and cannot be proven nor disproven.

There are some who opine that everything that cannot be explained by using physical laws cannot exist, but they are a small minority who are, in the main, mostly harmless.
'
= = = =
Bill
Site Admin
Site Admin

PreviousNext

Return to Agnosticism