Intro to Jonathan's blog

At http://spritzophrenia.wordpress.com

Intro to Jonathan's blog

Postby JonathanElliot » Thu Mar 10, 2011 2:26 pm

Thanks to Agnostics International for a section for members blogs. It was a surprise. For those who haven't read mine, I thought I'd give an introduction:

I write about the meaning of life, music and my search for g0d. If I don’t find her, I’ll settle for a good cup of coffee. I’d love your help as we find our way through this strange world we call “life”. I’ll share some of my journey with you as we learn together.

I have a sense of humour and write about all kinds of stuff. I live in New Zealand. I’m a huge music fan, you’ll usually find a link to what’s on my radar right now. I’m in postgraduate study and will earn my PhD (sociology) one day.

There is no such thing as a neutral position, so it’s best just to be honest about my biases:

My background, I’m a former evangelical christian, now agnostic who still has a soft spot for g0d-stuff. Not to mention a revulsion for most conservative christian expressions of spirituality. Socially, I’m mostly what the USAsians call ‘liberal’; I support gay marriage, I vote Green and believe what Frankie says when it comes to war. I feel uncomfortable over the abortion question, and I think working hard and being honest is a good thing. On my good days I might be considered post-evangelical or emergent.

My intentions, I want to explore faith and non-faith with an open-mindedness to finding a belief I can commit to, but a probability that I won’t. As for the faiths, I’d like to explore them all – from wicca to womens’ spirituality, from atheism to aruveydic yoga, from Satanism to sex gurus (can’t wait to explore that last one). However, I’ll probably major on the great world religions. Plus a spicing of all the topics within our complex lives; evil, love, ethnicity, politics, war, sexuality, ethics, pluralism and cheese.

If you have an opinion, I’d love to hear it. You can find the blog at http://spritzophrenia.wordpress.com/
JonathanElliot

Affiliation: Agnostic

Re: Intro to Jonathan's blog

Postby Carrie » Fri Mar 11, 2011 5:27 am

I can't wait to read your experiences with the different religions that you stated in your blog. It looks like it will very interesting. :)
Carrie
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Carol » Fri Mar 11, 2011 7:41 am

As always Jonathan, nice to read your writings. :)
"These people believe there is no truth to seek in nature, but only in the comparison of texts." Galileo
Carol
Site Admin
Site Admin

Blog: View Blog (1)

Postby Spiritdove » Wed Feb 26, 2014 9:29 pm

replying on this old post but never would I explore satanism. thats just disgruntled ex fundamentalist christianity .. no satan in wicca or paganism. really irks me when satanism is even meantioned alongside wicca
"And is harm none, Do as ye will"
Spiritdove

Affiliation: None of the above

Postby subtlegong » Sat Mar 01, 2014 9:04 am

Spiritdove wrote:replying on this old post but never would I explore satanism. thats just disgruntled ex fundamentalist christianity .. no satan in wicca or paganism. really irks me when satanism is even meantioned alongside wicca

There's a lot of misconceptions about Satanism, mostly that they actually worship Satan. No, they use the symbol of Satan to offend the mainstream but for the most part they're about agnosticism and individual driven spirituality. It's the last part that makes Satanism comparable to Wicca.
We seek the truth and will endure the consequences~ Charles Seymour
Do not hate the hateful. Educate them~ self
subtlegong
Distinguished Member
Distinguished Member

Blog: View Blog (2)

Postby Spiritdove » Sat Mar 01, 2014 10:10 am

subtlegong wrote:
Spiritdove wrote:replying on this old post but never would I explore satanism. hats just disgruntled ex fundamentalist Christianity .. no Satan in Wicca or paganism. really irks me when satanism is even mentioned alongside Wicca

There's a lot of misconceptions about Satanism, mostly that they actually worship Satan. No, they use the symbol of Satan to offend the mainstream but for the most part they're about agnosticism and individual driven spirituality. It's the last part that makes Satanism comparable to Wicca.

I know all about that satanists dont worship satan but then why even use the word satan in first place.. Its all about the opposite of what Christianity teaches.. Now you offend me by comparing my Wicca to anything of satanism. My Wicca I practice is about love , healing , compassion. nature in no way the self centered and overly sick nature that satanism follows. I have read there satanic bible and almost tossed my cookies so you and I will go head to head on this issue that I have anything remotely compared to satanism.. :cavalry: You will get my Apache blood stirred up on this issue..
Last edited by Spiritdove on Thu Apr 17, 2014 5:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Spiritdove

Postby subtlegong » Sat Mar 01, 2014 10:38 am

Spiritdove wrote:I know all about that satanists dont worship satan but then why even use the word satan in first place.. Its all about the opposite of what christianity teaches.. Now you offend me by comparing my wicca to anything of satanism. My wicca I practice is about love , healing , compassion. nature in now way the self centereness and overly sick nature that satanism follows. I have read there satanic bible and almost tossed my cookies so you and I will go head to head on this issue that I have anything remotely compared to satanism.. :cavalry: You will get my apache blood stirred up on this issue..

"Comparable" is not "the same as". You could say that the Free Love movement is comparable to Taoism or Islam is comparable to Christianity and there will still be yards of difference. Comparable simply means there are some common traits. If I were to use "the same as" it would be in context of African and Native American tribal philosophies, because the differences are so few that their virtually negligible. So please, my Plains blood asks you to be calm and don't be offended by simple comparisons.
We seek the truth and will endure the consequences~ Charles Seymour
Do not hate the hateful. Educate them~ self
subtlegong
Distinguished Member
Distinguished Member

Blog: View Blog (2)

Postby Spiritdove » Sat Mar 01, 2014 12:32 pm

Don't worry Im very calm scalping you :P :lol:
Spiritdove