Useful and Neat Scientific Sites

Relativity, quantum phenomena, astronomy, physics and chemistry etc.

Re: Useful and Neat Scientific Sites

Postby gilnv » Fri Nov 27, 2015 4:50 pm

romansh wrote:Water bears ...

tough little buggers ...
Can survive:
-272 C (1 K)
150 C
High doses of radiation
getting dehydrated to 3 % water

It makes me wonder how much tiny creatures might experience pleasure, or think.
Wikipedia mentioned that they have a "brain that includes multiple lobes, mostly consisting of three bilaterally paired clusters of neurons". I usually think of tiny creatures as just evolved reflexes, but that's probably being anthropocentric.
Wiki mentioned that these Tardigrades may survive 10 years without food, but still be capable of getting in condition again to reproduce some babies.
the divine isn't a living entity, it is the living force within all of us.
- Sadhguru
gilnv

Affiliation: Agnostic

Postby romansh » Mon Dec 21, 2015 12:03 pm

Have we ever seen evolution happen?
This might not satisfy any hardened evangelical belief, but hey what?

"That's right!" shouted Vroomfondel, "we demand rigidly defined areas of doubt and uncertainty!"
Douglas Adams
romansh
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby gilnv » Mon Dec 21, 2015 6:59 pm

romansh wrote:Have we ever seen evolution happen?
This might not satisfy any hardened evangelical belief, but hey what?

Towards the 1.25 minute mark, "he says we've seen many examples of evolution's 'fine tuning"'.

Whether or not there someone is affecting a direction , the idea that humanity or the universe is headed somewhere is a common theme. I notice this often when scientists talk about evolution, although no one takes them up on their waxing poetically or whatever they're doing.
The reason I mention this is - I wondered if we humans should consider this direction, should we plan a way to affect it, or maybe we should take note of this tendency and study it's tendencies. Even if we can't find someone controlling everything, if we see enough patterns developing then we can make some assumptions. We can do this even if something can't be proved completely, just by noticing patterns consistently.
- Sadhguru
gilnv

Postby romansh » Tue Dec 22, 2015 4:55 pm

gilnv wrote:Towards the 1.25 minute mark, "he says we've seen many examples of evolution's 'fine tuning"'.

Whether or not there someone is affecting a direction , the idea that humanity or the universe is headed somewhere is a common theme. I notice this often when scientists talk about evolution, although no one takes them up on their waxing poetically or whatever they're doing.
The reason I mention this is - I wondered if we humans should consider this direction, should we plan a way to affect it, or maybe we should take note of this tendency and study it's tendencies. Even if we can't find someone controlling everything, if we see enough patterns developing then we can make some assumptions. We can do this even if something can't be proved completely, just by noticing patterns consistently.

Hi gil,
We have had a nice drop of snow here; though it seems to be warming up and turning to slush.

I would not take the "fine tuning" remark as suggesting something is fiddling with the knobs.

I think we, including scientists, anthropomorphize a lot of things. I am reminded of a story recounted by Daniel Wegner in The Illusion of Conscious Will. Experimental scientists studying chimps (I presume in a lab, reprehensible I know) decided not to anthropomorphize the chimps behaviours. It got to the point where speaking in this neutral scientific language it became dangerous for the scientists, because they could not communicate what they thought the chimps' intent might be.

I must admit I don't see evolution having a particular direction and that evolution is indifferent (anthropomorphization) to the direction. Even in chaotic systems we find patterns. Evolution is explained, at least in large part, by cause in chaotic systems.
"That's right!" shouted Vroomfondel, "we demand rigidly defined areas of doubt and uncertainty!"
Douglas Adams
romansh
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby gilnv » Tue Jan 12, 2016 6:52 pm

From Wikipedia ---
Pronoia is a neologism that is defined as the opposite state of mind to paranoia: having the sense that there is a conspiracy that exists to help the person. It is also used to describe a philosophy that the world is set up to secretly benefit people.
This seems like a interesting word that I just noticed recently. Probably a new term.
- Sadhguru
gilnv

Postby gilnv » Tue Jan 12, 2016 7:02 pm

This is a 26 minute video of Gregory Sams discussing Chaos Theory as a label for why things evolve the way they do. Much of the video touches on consciousness, the sun, intent, and other stuff too.

This is not anything new but it is easy watching if someone is in the mood for this topic. :pop:
- Sadhguru
gilnv

Postby romansh » Sun Jan 31, 2016 5:42 pm

Pretty neat I thought ....

Douglas Adams
romansh
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Bill » Sun Jan 31, 2016 6:04 pm

It would have been really, really awesome if the robot had known why it was solving a Rubik's cube. No - really awesome.
The only reality is the moment that we call "Now".
= = = =
We evolved to seek dinner, not to seek the truth - Mark Whatever
Bill
Site Admin
Site Admin

Blog: View Blog (8)

Postby romansh » Sun Feb 07, 2016 2:57 pm

Bill wrote:It would have been really, really awesome if the robot had known why it was solving a Rubik's cube. No - really awesome.

Why? in which sense - how? purpose?

I suppose in either.
Douglas Adams
romansh
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby gilnv » Fri Feb 26, 2016 3:10 pm

Here is a cool short video of an elephant picking up some trash. By the way, this appears to be a African elephant as opposed to a Indian elephant, therefore less friendly and more dangerous, but I like them at a distance anyway.

I liked the Rubik's cube video too.
- Sadhguru
gilnv

PreviousNext

Return to Physical Sciences