A difference of opinion...

Where we can share jokes, puns and other items designed to make us laugh.

A difference of opinion...

Postby Carrie » Wed Jan 07, 2015 5:45 pm

religious-freedom.jpg
religious-freedom.jpg (64.83 KiB) Viewed 1719 times
Carrie
Site Admin
Site Admin

Affiliation: Agnostic

Re: Long live satire!!!!

Postby Carol » Wed Jan 07, 2015 10:12 pm

Very cute Carrie and too true. But for some reason it seems we all like to voice our views and try to convince others that ours are the best way to think. Must be simple human nature. I think its a good thing though, it's why we have debate, forum discussions and are introduced to new ideas. So it's all good... :yes:
"These people believe there is no truth to seek in nature, but only in the comparison of texts." Galileo
Carol
Site Admin
Site Admin

Blog: View Blog (1)

Re: A difference of opinion...

Postby Inquisitor » Sun Feb 01, 2015 10:50 am

Last night I attended a men's bible study. They invited me to share my thoughts on why I became an atheist. As one might expect, no matter what my argument was, they used their scripture to buttress their belief and faith. Even when "reason" was introduced into the discussion, they reasoned by way of scripture. We talked about irreducible complexity, cosmological arguments, arguments from evil, the moral argument and more. Having been a christian for decades prior to my deconversion, I was more than familiar with their positions. In the end, they insisted on keeping hold of "faith" without reason and dismissing any argument against it based on years of dogma and doctrine. They all had no idea of the history of their canon or the history of their church. But, even in the face of facts and solid evidence to the contrary, they dismissed it all. I think many, if not most christians are afraid to deny the metaphysical elements of their belief because of what that would mean to the idea of an eternity. Its like they refuse to think that the best reason to live this life with human well being in mind, is because its the only one we have. No goodies after words for "doing the right things". Christian concepts are so deeply rooted in our culture that it has become part and parcel to who and what we think we are. Its hard not to view christians as being delusional in their thinking. I try to be sensitive to their convictions but its frustrating when you are talking to someone that chooses to belief in a spiritual realm without any observable reason to do so. They interpret all their experiences on a scriptural basis and have nothing else to support the belief. Biblilogists if you will. It was a good experience for me in that it impressed me more firmly as to how lost in fantasy and fable I was before I knew better. Our brains are so hard wired to seek out patterns that once we have developed one, such as a religious one, its hard to clear yourself of it; especially when you belong to a community that keeps you in check.
“The reason I talk to myself is because I’m the only one whose answers I accept.”
― George Carlin
Inquisitor

Affiliation: Atheist

Postby romansh » Sun Feb 01, 2015 11:25 am

I had a similar experience ...
I was invited to and attended as series of six video lectures/courses on our world view. It was based on Chuck Colson and was hosted by Rick Warren. Liked Colson ... I can't help thinking Warren was a piece of work.

Our hosts were fundamental Christians and the husband (an engineer) believed the world is six thousand years old.
That is something I really don't understand. My other invitees were a Catholic (she only attended a few sessions) and a pair of really nice agnostically inclined ietsists (my description).

I don't think anyone changed their position.
"That's right!" shouted Vroomfondel, "we demand rigidly defined areas of doubt and uncertainty!"
Douglas Adams
romansh
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Ayn Marx » Wed Feb 04, 2015 7:40 pm

Inquisitor wrote:They all had no idea of the history of their canon or the history of their church. But, even in the face of facts and solid evidence to the contrary, they dismissed it all.

We can understand in a way blindness of this kind when it's the official policy of groups such as the Jehovah's Witnesses to forbid members reading anything of a religious nature not given their official 'blessing'. How though do most other denominations manage to control their conregations thinking is a mystery. I can only put it down to that ever dangerous human desire for absolute certainty at any cost. The egotism of craving immortality probably has a lot to do with it too.

Very apt in some ways placing this thread in the humor section except it's so bloody serious.
The Human Race is Insane
Ayn Marx

Return to Humor